11 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

In the Edit Person screen, when I click a green check mark on any event, the source screen does not look as it did before the last update. There is no screen showing a preview of all the sources.

What I see is the Citation Manager and it's displaying just the first source. In an event with 4 sources, I can only see the first source.

Across the top are these button: Add new source, Cite existing source, edit, delete, memorize, paste

I ran all 4 database tools under File and there were no errors.

I opened a different database and am seeing the same problem. I closed the program and restarted - that didn't help either.

How can I fix this? Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Edit: Using Windows 7 64 bit

~ Debbie

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:56 AM

I restored a couple of older backups, one from March 2014, and see the same problem. When given the choice to activate web hints, I chose to activate on one of the restore tests, and not to activate it on another restore test.

Edit: Program Options > Folders shows default folders are NOT in any Windows program folders.

~ Debbie

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:04 AM

I created a brand new database and added 2 sources to an event. The problem still exists.

~ Debbie

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

That's a very strange sounding problem. Mine looks totally normal, also on RM 7.0.4.0 and Windows 7 64 bit. My only possible suggestion is to re-install RM. I hate that suggestion in general because it's not really very responsive to a particular problem. But it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Jerry

#5 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Jerry. Yes, it is very strange. My database and RM works perfectly on another machine.

Restarting the computer had no effect.

I thought that by reinstalling, I may lose all my personal settings, so I took screenshots of the settings screens and toolbar layout first.

I then uninstalled RM7 via Windows Control Panel.

Then went here to download the 2 files to reinstall RM7: http://rootsmagic.co...tes/RootsMagic/

I reinstalled this file: RM7Setup.exe

When opening RM7, my database was already loaded; also none of my settings had changed. I did not have to enter my Key number. Is that normal?

I didn't install this: PlaceDBSetup.exe

The sources screen still is not looking normal.

I'll try contacting RM directly: http://support.roots...us_requests/new

~ Debbie

#6 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

If this will help anyone else with the same problem, I took 2 screenshots of the issue.

https://plus.google....CObEkargpLOVgQE

The first screenshot shows there are 2 sources for an event.
The second screenshot shows the screen that appears when I click the green check mark.

Will let you know what support suggests.

~ Debbie

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

The list of sources are not being displayed. Somehow the line between that list and the bottom sections for more details about that source has been collapsed. Hover you mouse on the bar splitting the top and bottom section of that screen, until you see the double arrow. Look between the header Source Name, Details and the Free Form column to see that line. Click the left mouse and hold it down while you drag the line down the screen. You will see them then display.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hurray!! It was something stupid I did myself!! How easily I had panicked. Can you let support know it's all fixed now?

Thanks, Renee!!

~ Debbie

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

I will go look for your ticket and close it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:16 AM

There is a certain irony here. Users complain all the time that RM doesn't remember window settings. But here was a case where a window setting got changed somehow or other (and not in a good way!), and RM did remember the incorrect setting.

Jerry

#11 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

Renee, was my re-installation normal in that I was not asked to fill in a Key, and all my former settings were intact?

That's a good observation, Jerry!

~ Debbie

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Yes, the uninstall did not remove the folder where the key and settings are stored. That is why it recalled them when you reinstalled.

Renee
RootsMagic