• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CanyonHiker17

CanyonHiker17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

I've noticed that when I list events under a persons biography, if there isn't an actual day-month-year format for the event but only a year, the event appears at the top of the queue for similar events in that same year.  Or it is sorted alphabetically by event.  Undated events appear at the bottom and can actually look weirdly out of place because of that.  Here is an example below where I took a screen grab just as it appeared as I entered it.  It is only a dummy entry, just for an example to post here.  Just wondering if events like this can possibly be programmed to sort in a logical order, even if the date isn't specific.  At the very minimum, perhaps year-only events for a specific year could appear at the bottom of the year's list instead of the top?  I would think it would be handy if "birth" was defaulted to the top of the list, and "death and burial" at the bottom two spots no matter what dates were entered.

rm1.jpg

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

There have been numerous wishes for improved defaults for the ordering of events in RM. Absent those improved defaults, the solution is to specify sort dates for events to coerce them into your preferred order.

I realize that your screenshot was only an example for illustrative purposes, but I should also point out that the conventional wisdom for best practices in using RootsMagic is to include a birth date of some kind for every single individual, even if it's a guess. Somebody born  in "estimated 1680" is in a very different situation than is somebody born in "estimated 1980".

Jerry

#3 CanyonHiker17

CanyonHiker17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Jerry!  I had not used the separate sort feature before but perhaps that might be the best work around for those items where I have a year only, or even no year listed.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

If you have events on the same date you can use -1, -2 after the date in the sort filed to sort them. 

Example

Death: Oct 1880-1

Burial: Oct 1880-2

The sort date will never show on reports. It only controls the order events are listed. So for your Birth just add a sort date like 1800 to get it in the proper order.

Renee
RootsMagic