12 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

We just received confirmation from FamilySearch that they turned off the temple card endpoint on Jan 15th. This was their official date but we were never aware of an actual date it would happen. In the next update the Temple Work icon on the FamilySearch Central Dashboard will be removed. We cannot implement any changes in that area because there is nothing that will feed it.

If you are still able to open the Temple Work section and see any information there, it is old data and will not update.

The only area you can see temple ordinances and make reservations in RootsMagic is under the FamilySearch Person Tools on the Ordinance tab. All other temple work activity needs to be made on FamilySearch.org under Temple.

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 dvickers

dvickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

Am I understanding correctly that the turning off the temple card endpoint by FS will mean that printing FORs and all management tasks cannot be done BUT through FSFT??  If this is the case I sure hope Bruce raised all kinds of red flags with his FS contacts!!

#3 Carolyn Hinze

Carolyn Hinze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

I cannot even see the ordinance work any more.  I want to update ordinances on an individual in Rootsmagic.  So now that has to be done manually, by opening FS and typing in the completed ordinance.  Went to FamilySearch Person Tools - clicked on A person, asked for ordinance - spinning forever I guess.  

Is that how the program is now working?  Super bummer!  This is on my laptop running Windows 7.  Default browser Chrome

On my Mac - Yosemite - Parallels - I cannot even sign in to Family Search through Rootsmagic..  When I try it, the program freezes.  I want to work on that big screen.  EEEK!  Help!  Never have been able to use the bridge - says files are locked no matter what I do.

#4 bookofarmaments

bookofarmaments

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

I'm also having the spinning circle problem when on the "Ordinances" tab - it never gives an error message, but just spins and spins and never loads.  Are ordinances no longer syncing with RM?  That's a big problem for me.

I'm running on Windows 7 on a PC - RM is fully updated.

#5 Gkhr

Gkhr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

Is this saying we will never see Temple ordinances on RM unless we type them in manually?

If this is so, we will not be able to copy existing ordinances across to RM or see if ordinances are already reserved without opening FS which is extremely inconvenient. .

If my interpretation of the RM announcement is correct I wonder if there is any point to RM, any old data based Program would do.

there are plenty of free ones out there.

if I had any inkling this was on the cards I would not have wasted my money on RM7 upgrade. 

#6 Nayajja

Nayajja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

Renee, can you give us some idea of why FamilySearch did this? Is it temporary? Were there data problems? If we cannot reserve ordinances and print out the Family Ordinance Requests, can FamilySearch at least allow us still to compare and copy completed ordinances?

Who can we contact at FamilySearch to give them our feedback?

This is a huge step backward in ease of use.

#7 donaf

donaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

So am I to understand that we can now no longer view under "FamilySearch Person Tools" in the "Share data" or "Ordinances" tab the LDS temple ordinances performed for the targeted individual and copy them directly from Familysearch / Family Tree to one's Rootsmagic data?

Why would FamilySearch disable that?  That seems like a "quantum leap" backwards and is so "unfriendly" to those using helpful third-party apps to organize their genealogical data and temple work.  It almost seems like a "hard shove" to those using third-party apps like RootsMagic to move exclusively to Family Tree and drop use any other application.

Is this what has happened?  Are we now to live with no such LDS ordinance "sync" capability between FamilySearch and RootsMagic data?  If so, this is a really going to hurt those using applications like RootsMagic.  It makes me think twice about ever upgrading to RM7 as this was an "essential" feature.  Doing a manual "back and forth" to enter in ordinance information from Family Tree to RootsMagic is not my idea of "user friendly" at all and is not helpful in "hastening the work."  Why would FamilySearch do this to those trying keep their LDS ordinance data easily sync'd with their offline data. 

While we prefer submitting ordinance information using Family Tree, we still need to keep our Family Tree data (including LDS ordinances) synchronized with RootsMagic.  What is to be done here?

#8 bevanmission

bevanmission

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

I'll definitely be changing programs if we are not able to sync Ordinance data with FamilyTree. This problem has been going on for over 3 days and it's frustrating my family history work more than I can express. And we don't seem to be receiving any hopeful message of resolution.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

No, what was removed was off FamilySearch Central on the Temple Work tab where you could see the temple cards.

BUT, what is happening now with the Ordinance tab not loading in the FamilySearch Person Tools has nothing to do with this. Its a break that's happened during the latest update to FamilySearch. They will be doing a lot of them before RootsTech is done. We are still trying to track this issue down. The ordinances tab will not be removed its just broken right now. We are working with FamilySearch on a fix.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 donaf

donaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:45 AM

That's good to hear that it's not a "permanent" change, but just a "bug."  That puts our minds at ease.  I hope they get this resolved soon, as this is a very useful feature.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

#11 Gkhr

Gkhr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Phew thanks Renee,

All is forgiven.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

Just a little more info on the status of this issue.

Development has told me the reason Ancestral Quest and Legacy Family Tree are working when we are not, is because they are using XML and we are using JSON. The problem is FamilySearch starting returning XML results instead of the JSON results we ask for. FamilySearch is working on resolving this issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Carolyn Hinze

Carolyn Hinze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thank you for keeping us up to date on this.