14 replies to this topic

#1 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

I decided to download the latest .rmGC to my Google nexus5 phone, and also on to my Google Nexus 10 tablet. Both are up to date. I sent the file to my Dropbox account. Then on device clicked on Rootsmagic app . Then on file. Screen shows grey with rthe "toolbar" at the top having name of the file. If I touch this a message appears "Downloading file from Dropbox. Please wait". Fair enough I do. And wait and wait and wait for a very long time for the file which is 2.6MB, but to no avail . I have reinstalled RM app twice on both phone and tablet.

The new app asks for it to be allowed  permission and I click "Allow". And still I can't download my file. Am baffled. Any ideas, please?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

We have many users reporting that their Nexus devices running Lollipop are not working. This have been reported to development. This may be why you are having a problem. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:18 AM

Yes. I have had problems with Google Nexus even with KitKat, but then could usually resolve then with effort. Let's hope they can rsolve the issue.

#4 TremblingLeaves

TremblingLeaves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

I have RootsMagic on a Nexus 7 Android tablet (don't know the silly word for the OS, but it's the latest one.) I'm having the same problems reported by Totnor above, except the attempted download doesn't take very long. When I tapped View, I got, "Unfortunately, RootsMagic has stopped working." and it shuts down. Now, that message is all I get when I try to start the program. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no effect.

It has been more than a month since these problems were reported above, with no report on any progress toward a solution. Is there any?

#5 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:40 AM

I have given up on the app lately, so haven't tried! But I strongly suspect the problem is with the Nexus family - although I also had problems when the app first came out with my htc smartphone, but did manage to get it to work on that.

Before the Lolliupop upgrade I was able to get RM to work on both my tablet ((Nexus 10) & on my Nexus 5 phone. But RM never sent me a message to tell me to download the latest version of my tree when I had saved a later version having worked on the tree, making changes, and saving it on my computer.

It is very frustrating not to be able to use RM on these devices.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

The RM App developer is currently working on the problem, using the app on Nexus devices with Lollipop. We simply can't release an update until its ready.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

It is gratifying to see that the problem is now being addressed.  It has been a long time in coming.

#8 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

Thank you for letting us know, Renee.

#9 rjmolloy@comcast.net

rjmolloy@comcast.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

Same problem on Verizon Galaxy S5 (Android 5.0) and on a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (Android 5.0.2).

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

Same problem on Verizon Galaxy S5 (Android 5.0) and on a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (Android 5.0.2).

This wouldn't be the same problem then. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there is consecutive order. If you receive any error messages then run them again. After you have run the Database Tools on it then upload that database (RMGC) to the app.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Elchae

Elchae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:20 PM

I just downloaded the RootsMagic app to my Galaxy S5 (running 5.0) phone. I followed instructions and got my .rmgc file from dropbox. It worked for about 1 minute, then I got the message "unfortunately, RootsMagic has stopped".

I uninstalled the ap, deleted and reloaded my .rmgc file to dropbox, re-installed the app, followed directions again...same result!

Am I missing something, or is this a glitch in the software?

I tried to go to File, Database Tools - that doesn't show up on my menu for RootsMagic 4. Any advice?

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

It's the Lollipop operating system that is the issue with the RM App. We are working on an update to resolve this issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 gkluther

gkluther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Basically Reporting the same problem. I think something else is going on. I have the RM app on an LG G2 running Lollipop. I first started using it under RM6 and it ran fine. Lollipop and all. We recently upgraded to RM7 and now when I upload the file via Dropbox RM Android says"Problem loading file" followed by "Unfortunately, Roots Magic has Stopped". It appears to be an incompatibility between the RM7 format of the .rmgc file and version 1.1 of the Android App. It has been running on Lollipop. My 2 cents.

Thanks and looking for a fix............soon!!

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

If you have the same database on your device uploaded before upgrading to Lollipop then it will usually open with Lollipop afterwards. If you upload a new database that was never opened in an earlier operating system then it typically won't load. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

The new update, Version 1.2, for the Android app is now on Google Play.