Photo

how to reconnect to media files after they have been moved or renamed?

source media

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

As I add media to my various fact/person sources, I try to satisfy several criteria, one of which is to only have one copy of a particular media file across my hard drives (not counting backups).  This means that sometimes I need to change where a file is located and/or its name.  

If I have renamed and moved a file referenced by a particular source, how would I reconnect the two?  Or do I need to recreate the source?

Thanks,

- David P

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

If the media file was renamed, the "Fix broken media links" tool cannot repair the break. You will have to manually add the renamed file and tag it or use "Change media field" on the existing media record to browse to and select the renamed file and preserve the existing tags.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Highlight the thumbnail.

Open Properties.

In the lower left corner, click on Change media files.

Navigate to the file with the new name, highlight it and click Open.

I change the name of a file from Properties, Change media file rather than doing it in Windows Explorer and then finding it again in the Media Gallery.

If I just have just a few files to move, I do that from Change media files also.

Check out the video about fixing broken media links on YouTube, RootsMagicTV

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=--QjBtpJeis

#4 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

That was quick!  Thanks for the help!

- David P

#5 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

I previously had a problem of managing and updating my media links in RootsMagic but found a "Fix" that solved the problem as well as made my source Media more readily available and easier to find.

I am attempting to reduce my paper files, and as I move toward a goal of 99+% digital copies of source media, it necessitates managing and occasionally adjusting my file naming conventions. An advantage of moving toward full digital copies is I can place copies of files associated with something like the marriage record for say John ALDEN and Priscilla MULLINS in both my ALDEN and MULLINS folders which makes it easier to find appropriate source information when doing additional research on either family.

I have a folder with sub-folders on my hard drive with all my Genealogical information.

As time goes on I may find I need to re-name or re-organize some of the specific files. This created the issue of needing to re-establish correct links for media in RM7.

To solve the issue of links to RM7 I also have also placed a folder in the root directory of my C: drive called "RM7 Media."

Having all the files used as media for RM7 in a single location, makes it easy to duplicate this folder and all its contents on both my desktop and laptop computers. When I create a shareable CD for my cousins each Christmas, I can send along a copy of this single folder with instructions on where to copy the "RM Media" folder so they have fully functioning links to all the sources used for my research.

A side benefit to this is that I don't have to worry about preservation of my important Genealogical Research as I am following Dick Eastman'L.O.C.K.S concept ( Lots of Copies Kept Separately) as I have copies in Ohio, TX, CA and OR that are updated annually along with my normal back-up copies of external media and in the Cloud.

Enjoy and good hunting.

Roger