3 replies to this topic

#1 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Enjoying new RM 7 and starting a new database. When adding a new person, or birth, or christening, I would like the living flag to default to false if that event is 100 years ago or more. I had this set on RM6, but have forgotten how I did it. Step by step advice, please?

Thank you.

Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

While I don't think RootsMagic does what you want, I believe it auto sets the Living flag to false only for a Death or Burial event. Review this discussion for suggested practices using the Set Living tool: http://archiver.root...1-06/1309376950

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

It also aito sets the living tag to false of a birth date is 105 years or over even if there is no death or burial fact on new entry or changing the date.

But, if you then change that birth year to less than 105 years and want the living flag to be True, you will have to mark it manually.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

This got me going over what we have done with the Living flag in SQLite resulting in a new script which indirectly responds to Canuk's inquiry. Living Flag - Set Globally demonstrates something that could be added as a feature to RootsMagic. It uses the same "105 year olds are dead" rule as does RootsMagic with a bunch more and can be readily edited to 100 or some other number. The big difference is that it sets the flag for everybody in the database, not just for the person currently being edited. There is also a companion script to set the color-coding for everyone in the database according to the state of the Living flag. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.