#1 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Uh oh.

I've been using the Rootsmagic To-Go program to transfer my databse to an external harddrive every night.

Then, on seperate computer, I use the Rootsmagic Launcher, on the harddrive, to run the program and work on my database.

Later I return to my main computer and upload the file back.

Tonight, I get this error.

So I try loading it on the harddrive.  Same error.

Is the file, now duplicated, irrecoverable?

Or is there a "file fix" routine I can run that might try to fix it?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

Serious issue and maybe irrecoverable. Safest thing is to restore from your last backup. Does the error occur immediately on opening the database? If not can you run the File > Database Tools from top to bottom? Regardless, you should test your drives.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

It happens immediately.

It appears Rootsmagic To-Go doesn't perform a viability check before transferring a file. (Rootsmagic and Family Atlas know instantly the file is bad.  I wish Rootsmagic To-Go could do the same test and not bother overwriting things with it.) 

I've been treating this offloaded file on an external drive *as* my backup.  (Without a "backup" backup.)  

So I'm out a week's worth of discoveries.  On the plus side I did run some reports with it and I know where I found the info.

#4 Jerry Dakins

Jerry Dakins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

After performing the update today, I could not access my data because I received this error:

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error:  SQLite Error 11 – database disk image is malformed.  I tried to restore with the assistance of tech support, but every back up I tried came up with the same error.  I Uninstalled the program and reinstalled it from my disk and now am able to open the file.  I used the database tools and get the same error when I try to Compact database.When Cleaning phantom records and Rebuilding indexes it returns as successful.  I got the same error when trying to export to a gedcom file.

I tried numerous restore dates with the same result.  I have a lot of data in this database which would be almost impossible to duplicate.  There is no way to go back 6 months and try to reenter information or know what information to enter. 

When I run Test database integrity it gives me the following report:

Integrity check results:

*** in database main ***

On tree page 4092 cell 1: 1 of 2 pages missing from overflow list starting at 4093

On tree page 3224 cell 0: 18 of 29 pages missing from overflow list starting at 3195

Page 3206 is never used

Page 3207 is never used

Page 3208 is never used

Page 3209 is never used

Page 3210 is never used

Page 3211 is never used

Page 3212 is never used

Page 3213 is never used

Page 3214 is never used

Page 3215 is never used

Page 3216 is never used

Page 3217 is never used

Page 3218 is never used

Page 3219 is never used

Page 3220 is never used

Page 3221 is never used

Page 3222 is never used

Page 3223 is never used

Page 4094 is never used

I don't know what this means, but there has to be a way to fix this without losing all that information.  I am not even using Roots Magic to go, this is the main program.

Anyone out there know what I should do?

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

I suspect your database is irretrievably corrupted and that it is caused by degradation of your hard drive. Other programs and data are likely jeopardized. Run a disk check/fix utility immediately.

If disk check confirms it has degraded, you will need to migrate everything to a new disk asap. After that, try the current file and restores from backups again, in case they were being written into a bad area.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jerry Dakins

Jerry Dakins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

I will try that, thanks.  The computer is only 2 months old tho.  I guess it could be a bad hard disk.

#7 aecreations

aecreations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

I too try to run the data base tools and get the same error.  it worked fine yesterday and now today I keep getting the error.  I even put it in a different file folder and still get the error. I even try to just start working on my lines to look at a person and get the error.  something is wrong with the program.  I have never had so much trouble with this program, ever since they have started sending updates and then that is when it all started.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8239 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

Where is the database being stored on the computer. Is it inside of any folder being synced to the cloud like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive?

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 aecreations

aecreations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

my files are stored on a external drive.  I have tried everything and still get the error. sqlite error 11 database disk image is malformed

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

The database file got corrupted, probably by some disruption to disk i/o during one of the many times it is written during a RM session. Once malformed, no RM tools nor OS tools are likely going to fix it. Your only course of action using RM is to restore from an earlier backup that does not have the problem. Hopefully, that is the backup from the session just prior to your issue arising. Otherwise, partial and sometimes full recovery of data is possible by judicious use of SQLite directly on the database. 

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8239 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Use File>Restore on the backup (.rmgb) file. Then use all the File>Database Tools to make sure that is not also corrupted. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 aecreations

aecreations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:25 PM

ok, thank you - it worked - will let you know if I have anyother problems.  thank you again