Jump to content


Photo

Name for backup file


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimmiles

jimmiles

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

I just upgraded from RM6 to RM7.  The backup file in my documents still says "RootsMagic 6 backup".  How do I change it to "RootsMagic 7 backup?



#2 RWells1938

RWells1938

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

Go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and enter the backup location and name. You can also add a date at the end by going to Tools>Program>Options>General and the option down.

Hope this helps
Roger

#3 Peter B

Peter B

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

I have the "Add date to backup file name" box checked on Tools>Program Options>General page but the date doesn't get added on like it used to. It stopped adding the date several weeks ago (possibly after I upgraded to RM7). Backup also does not use the current database name for the backup, it defaults to the previous one. I change database versions with a rename, should I do a copy instead? Should I post this date problem in the RM7 "Issues" forum instead?

 

Thanks... Peter Bradish



#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

    Advanced Member

  • Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

If you right clicked on the file in Windows Explorer and renamed it then I'm surprised it even opens. At the very least it would explain why its not behaving correctly for backups.  Right click on it and rename it to what it used to be. Then go into RootsMagic with the database open go to File>Rename to correctly change the database name. 

 

I would recommend running the File>Database Tools - all options, in consecutive order after you do that. Then check if it will backup correctly.


Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Peter B

Peter B

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

  Thank you for the suggestions Renee.  :)

  I "think" that I figured out what I did that caused the problem, I feel fairly sure in fact. I had opened my V2.rmgc and saved it as V2.01.rmgc (I have a name of the database in front of the V2 designation) for the new incremental version and that's probably when the trouble started as opposed to when I upgraded to RM V7. I followed your suggestion about using RM to rename the file back to its original name (had to rename the V2 to V2a to make it possible). When I attempted to backup the V2 the proper backup file followed with the current date in parenthesis. Mulling that over I renamed the V2 file to V2.01 to try again and the date disappeared and the backup wanted to be called V2. So, I renamed it to V2 01 (no period, just a space) and it now functions properly for a backup as a V2 01 (2015-02-03).rmgb file, and all is back to being well.

  My conclusion is that the second period introduce when I created the V2.01 database caused the problem. Just using a space instead of the 2nd period which leaves just one period in front of the file extension does the trick. There could well be more to it than this but this is how I solved the problem.

  Thanks again for your observations and suggestions.  :D ... Peter Bradish



#6 TomH

TomH

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

The period would be the trigger for the problem, Peter. While Windows allows multiple periods in a file name, programs that have code or concepts dating from the days of DOS anticipate only one and that it divides the name from the extension. So RM found your first period and assumed wrongly that the name of the file ended there. It really should be looking for the first period from the right, not the left.


Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.