• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 foreverpurple

foreverpurple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

I am attempting to generate a Narrative story and the sentences don't make sense.

Here is an example:

2.  [NEED TO DEFINE SENTENCE:Arrival]1 Everett Earl Sallee2 was born on 4 Apr 1898 in Orleans, Orange, Indiana, United States,.1,3–11 He lived Marital Status: SingleRelation to Head of House: Son in Vernon, Washington, Indiana, USA in 1900.5 He lived Marital Status: SingleRelation to Head of House: Son in Madison, Washington, Indiana, USA in 1910.6 Everett lived in Hamilton, Nebraska in 1917–1918.4 [NEED TO DEFINE SENTENCE:Arrival]7 He lived Marital Status: Married in South Dakota, USA in 1925.7 He lived Marital Status: MarriedRelation to Head of House: Head in Warren, Niobrara, Wyoming, USA in 1930.10 Everett lived Marital Status: Married in Edgemont Ward 3, Fall River, South Dakota in 1935.11 He lived Marital Status: Married in Edgemont Ward 3, Fall River, South Dakota in 1945.1 He died on 27 Nov 1964 at the age of 66 in Custer County, South Dakota, USA.3,8 Everett died on 27 Nov 1964 at the age of 66 in Edgemont, Fall River, South Dakota, United States. He lived in Fall River.9 He was buried in Edgemont, Fall River County, South Dakota, United States of America.3 Evelyn Viola Mae Humphrey and Everett Earl Sallee were married in 1934 in Fall River, South Dakota.1,9,11

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5929 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

You have fact types for which the narrative sentence template is undefined, e.g,, "Arrival".

You have other fact types for which the sentence template needs to be revised or the value entered in the Description field needs to be revised or moved to the fact Note.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 foreverpurple

foreverpurple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Isn't there a way to turn off fact types that are blank when printing?

I guess I assumed that when I exported my GEDCOM file from Ancestry that it would be compatible with Roots Magic report printing but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for the info!

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Yes, on both accounts.

1) You can go to the Lists - Fact Type List and change the settings for each Fact Type separately. Select your fact typr "Arrival" and you'll see that you can uncheck boxes [] for inclusion in exporting, printing, etc.

2) Ancestry did give you a GEDCOM that is compatible with RM. However, the GEDCOM standard is not thorough enough to cover all of the situations that the various companies with genealogy database programs want to cover with their software. The GEDCOM standard contains a set of "standard" Fact Types, and it allows each program (indeed each USER of a program) to create custom, user-defined Fact Types. That's how "Arrival" got to be in your RM database. It was created by Ancestry's user that uploaded the file from which you downloaded your GEDCOM. This is why it is important to learn to review the contents of EVERY GEDCOM that you download. You can rename user-defined fact types (but not the built-in standard fact types), as well as revising the properties discussed in part #1 above.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5929 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Yes. For your undefined Arrival fact, on the main menu Lists > Fact Type List > Select "Arrival" > Edit and under "Include when:" uncheck "Narrative reports". That is also where you would define the default sentence so that something sensible could come out. Your choice...

Edit: I see zhangrau and I doubled

Edited by TomH, 22 January 2015 - 08:54 PM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 foreverpurple

foreverpurple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

This seems a bit labor intensive when all I really wanted to do was quickly print out a little narrative for my stepdad. I barely have time to actually do research and that leaves even less for tweaking a software I am not familiar with.

Tom I saw a little software thing you created... would that help me speed up this process or no?

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5929 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

If working on the things that are essential for narrative reports is too much trouble, then why not print out a collection of non-narrative reports such as pedigree, descendants, family group sheets and individual summaries.

#8 foreverpurple

foreverpurple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:35 PM

I did start that last night with the family group sheets. I was just hoping for an efficient way to accomplish this.  I looked at the list editing function and tried defining the sentence. I'm hesitant to mess with too much for fear I may mess it up and then not remember the settings I monkeyed with later on.