• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mdriscol

mdriscol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

I created a source template (can't seem to attach a picture) with a text field [CertificateDesc].  In using this field with a switch I don't get the proper text to display in my notes.

An example of the output of the completed source template notes is shown below.  If I remove the switch from the [CertificateDesc] field on the template the notes print as desired with "state file no.", for example, displaying correctly if that is the input for this field..

This is not the first time I have created a custom source template and used switches, but this is the first time I can't get it to work like it should.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Mark

Bibliography:
Template:

[Jurisdiction]. [Agency]. Death Certificates. [Repository], [RepositoryLoc].

Example Output:

Ohio. Department of Health. Death Certificates. Office of Vital Statistics, Columbus.

Footnote:
Template:

[Jurisdiction] [Agency], [CertificateDesc|death certificate] <([Form]) >[CertificateNo]< ([Date])>, [Name]; [Repository], [RepositoryLoc].

Example Output:

Ohio Department of Health, [CertificateDesc|death certificate] 12345 (1994), John Smith; Office of Vital Statistics, Columbus.

Short Footnote:
Template:

[Jurisdiction] [CertificateDesc|death certificate] [CertificateNo]< ([Date])>, [Name].

Example Output:

InputOhio [CertificateDesc|death certificate] 12345 (1994), John Smith.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

A very quick look (so I may wrong or incomplete) suggests you need  <[CertificateDesc]|death certificate>  rather than  [CertificateDesc|death certificate]. You need the angle brackets <> to denote a switch and you don't have those. And you need square brackets [] around just the variable and not around anything else. I haven't tried to think very hard about whether or not you might need some blanks for appropriate spacing.

Jerry

#3 mdriscol

mdriscol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, Jerry, that took care of the problem.  I stared at that for quite awhile but now it seems obvious.  I really appreciate the help.

Mark