2 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

So you have your Place List all nicely structured having worked through and split Places into Places and Place Details and it all seems ticketyboo. Now you need to export your database to some other website or software which does not support the way RootsMagic exports Place Details and POOF! - you've been caught in another proprietary feature trap. Wouldn't it be nice if RootsMagic had an option in Export for Place Details and Place to be combined and outputted as standard GEDCOM PLACes recognised by every GEDCOM compliant program? Until that happens, here is a possible workaround that modifies the data in your database:

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:19 AM

.....you've been caught in another proprietary feature trap. Wouldn't it be nice if RootsMagic had an option in Export for Place Details and Place to be combined and outputted as standard GEDCOM PLACes recognised by every GEDCOM compliant program? Until that happens, here is a possible workaround that modifies the data in your database:

I agree, what to do with PD Media and Notes is another question, if combined I would say they should obviously go with the combined Place.

I need to check Legacy and how they handle the Address part of their Place in Gedcom, I believe FTM just puts Place Details into the description field but again will check.

Some Gedcom export options for "What to do with Place Details?" allowing things like Prefix to Place, Move to Description Field etc.would certainly be welcome but would allow a more free migration to other platforms <_< 

This really is a problem and at present I can't understand why other large vendors have not embraced Place Details, maybe they are not as popular as I believed.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

All my utility does is to elevate a Place Detail to become a Place named [PlaceDetail], [MasterPlace]. There is no change to its Media or Note, nor to those of the original Master Place. While it may be desirable to combine Media and Notes in some cases and safe to do so in the export option, I did not for the script because it would greatly increase complexity and would make it impossible to undo those changes.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.