Photo

GEDCOM: how to transfer ancestry.com tree?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Janke

Janke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:27 AM

Hello,

Maybe a very stupid question, but i used to transfer my ancestry.com tree to my computer, and as i had installed PAF the ancestry gedcom would be automatically be transformed into a PAF gedcom (with an image and a name); and then i could transfer this gedcom to geneanet...I've been doing this simple thing for years, and today all of a sudden nothing works anymore! PAF has disappeared, ancestry transforms my tree into a fichier (file) that doesn't open anywhere, i've just now downloaded this program, but it does not want to import the file i get downloaded from ancestry. com, so i'm completely lost! To be precise, what i used to do was work my tree and create it with ancestry, have PAF installed on my computer without really using it but to help create the Gedcom that i coul then place in other sites, namely geneanet, so that my tree is in several places... now, technically, how do i get this situation back? Thank you very much anyone who can help! (when i chose "import" file in the rootsmagic program, the ancestry.com file doesn't even show up in my own list of files..)

Janke

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

There is a video on exporting a gedcom from Ancestry.com Family Tree and importing the gedcom into a RootsMagic database at YouTube, RootsMagicTV:

Importing an Ancestry Family Tree into RootsMagic

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ECNDEl2rcgY

The following website has directions on downloading a gedcom from Ancestry.com Family Tree. It was updated 1/9/1915.

http://ftm.custhelp....les-on-ancestry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

What is the name of the file you get from Ancestry.com?

It should have the .ged extension.

In RootsMagic's Import dialog, you must choose GEDCOM and then browse to where you saved the Ancestry .ged file and select it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Janke

Janke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

TomH

The problem is, that ancestry no longer downloads a GEDCOM file, but an ordinary file, that i don't recognize; when i place this file in geneanet, it tells me "this is not a gedcom file, as i can see as well; when i try to import it to my recently created Rootsmagic program, the Ancestry "file" does not appear on the list; the old PAF files, my old trees, do appear, and i have been able to download a version of my tree i saved in December (from Ancestry, there were no problems then!) to create a basis here in Rootsmagic, but the january version no longer appears as a GEDCOM file; this has to do with the disappearance of PAF rather than with Ancestry, as this same file problem happenend long ago at my first steps in Ancestry, and then someone suggested downloading PAF, and that worked... so as PAF suggested downloading Rootsmagic, i hoped the system would transfer, it hasn't done (yet). perhaps i have to desinstall what's still left of PAF. Before doing that I will have a look at the Youtube video.

So thank you very much, LAURA, I'll have a look at the suggested videos and site and report back afterwards to see if i get the GEDCOM version of ancestry files back!

Thank you for your help; i realize this is maybe a specific Ancestry question, but i'm only a "guest" with them and no paying member, so some difficulty to reach their forums... let's say i managed to find this forum first, and it looks very friendly!

As my trees are the result of many years of research (directly from the archives), i am of course slightly worried...

Janke

#5 Janke

Janke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

Help!

o.k. I've read the text looked at the video, and the problem is still there. Text and video tell me Ancestry will download a GEDCOM file; but when i click on the button export, download etc it sends me an ordinary file, called "application/octet-stream" (4Mo) which is NOT a GEDCOM file.... when i try to read it, and ask to open it, there still is the choice to open it with PAF, but pAF no longer works, it's been suppressed apparently. In my box "open file with" there is no mention of the rootsmagic program... so I'm completely blocked - ancestry yells me it's going to download a GEDCOM, but it doesn't, it's another type of file, and i don't know what to do with it!

Janke

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

I don't maintain a tree on Ancestry, though I use it frequently for research.

I suspect you're not correctly creating your GEDCOM file. I searched Ancestry's Help and came up with this link:
 http://help.ancestry...download gedcom

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

On Ancestry, maybe you will have to right-click on the "Download your GEDCOM file" button when it appears rather than left-click. Then from the popup menu select "Save link (or target) as..." and be sure that the filename includes the .ged extension.

RootsMagic should not appear in the Windows "Open with..." list for .ged files because it is only capable of "opening" (in that sense) .rmgc files. You must run RootsMagic and from its File menu, use Import > GEDCOM to select and import a .ged file.

As to PAF, it has no bearing on either how the download from Ancestry works or how RootsMagic works.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Janke

Janke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

Sorry, but PAF definitely had an influence on my computer... when i tried for the very first time to download a GEDCOM from ancestry some years ago, it didn't work, it gave me an "ordinary file" as happens now. Then someone suggested installing pAF as he said the problem was related to the fact that i did't have (bought) software installed. As soon as I installed PAF the problem diappeared: when i pushed the download button on ancestry, my tree would appear as a GEDCOM, with even a nice icon showing the PAF image. For years this worked smoothly: ancestry automatically transformed my tree into a PAF Gedcom! and then I transferred the PAF gedcom where i wanted it. Now from January 2015 on all of a sudden this no longer works... i get a message from PAF that they no longer exist, and that i should switch to another system. They suggest Rootmagic (among others). I chose a free version, as my PAF version was free. And now ancestry is sending me again an "ordinary" file that is not a GEDCOM, as it did these many years ago. So the problem is not that I don't know where the "export" or "download" buttons are situated; the problem is that there's no GEDCOM format coming into my own computer. I don't know where the problem is; Ancestry tells me they are sending a GEDCOM, and it doesn't come out as a GEDCOM in my program..

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

Janke, you have thoroughly misunderstood how Ancestry, Windows, PAF and RootsMagic work. If you have followed the instructions in the link zhangrau gave you (http://help.ancestry...download gedcom), the GEDCOM file Ancestry exported resides on your storage device and has a filename with the .ged extension. You can open Windows File Explorer and browse to that folder and see that filename. When you successfully installed PAF, Windows was told to associate files having the .ged extension with PAF, which is why File Explorer displayed a PAF icon beside the GEDCOM file name. When you double-clicked on the file name/icon in File Explorer, that association caused Windows to launch PAF to open and import the .ged file into a PAF database. Having lost PAF from your system, Windows can no longer find PAF or PAF is no longer associated with the .ged file type.

Now you have RootsMagic installed. However, its installation does not cause an association between the .ged file extension and RootsMagic (were there one manually setup, RootsMagic would return an error message). To import the GEDCOM file, you must first "run RootsMagic and from its File menu, use Import > GEDCOM to select and import a .ged file". The data from the GEDCOM file is then imported into a RootsMagic database file with the .rmgc extension (just as PAF imported the GEDCOM data into its database file with a different extension). The RootsMagic installation told Windows to associate it with the .rmgc extension so when you browse with Windows File Explorer you will see the RootsMagic icon beside each .rmgc file name and you can double-click it to cause RootsMagic to run and open that file type.

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

I also suspect that Janke has Windows File Explorer set to not show file extensions for known file types, meaning that a GEDCOM from Ancestry will appear as "franklin" rather than "franklin.ged"

#11 DeaneHunter

DeaneHunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

I might add, that a GEDCOM, is just a text file...so it may appear as just an "ordinary file".

In windows if you "right-click" on the file name and select 'properties' you should see...

GEDCOM file (.ged)

...where it says "type of file".

when you've found the right place to download the Gedcom, you should see the text below and the "green export tree button"

Manage your tree

Export your family tree data, as a GEDCOM file, to your computer.

<Export tree-button>

#12 Janke

Janke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

Thank you???

In short, i'm not completely stupid; so when i say it's NOT a GEDCOM it's NOT, and that's exactly my problem! It's something called "LST" file. Yes, i know you can import , and yes i let rootsmagic search my whole sytem for GEDCOMs and it only found the previous ones;.. and no it's not a GEDCOM, geneanet clearly told me "this is not a GEDCOM when i send it to them. My problem is that Ancestry is not sending a GEDCOM, and all their helpforums tell me it does. It's no longer doing this in my computer and i don't know why. I have now completely desinstalled rootsmagic, and installed ancestry quest, it being closer to PAF. This resulted in a change of the look of the icons. All my previous downloads from Ancestry (most recent 11 january) are still GEDCOMs with a new image, the ancestry quest image, so my old PAF sytem was correctly changed into the new by Quest. (which didn't work for rootsmagic). But i still get an LST file from Ancestry... in spite of whatever. It definitely is NOT a GEDCOM. I can and could place my old downloads either in Rootsmagic or Quest or geneanet no problem. But from about 3 days ago ancestry is sending me a NON Gedcom file... or my computer is no longer accepting Gedcoms, but why? I didn't change anything... it's "LST", i tried "open with rootsmagic" and i tried "open with Quest" and it doesn't even open...

Thanks nevertheless for the time taken to explain the basics; but it's slightly more complex.

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

If you are seeing a fresh .LST file having the same name as that you defined for the Ancestry download, then it was produced by the software that imported the (supposed) GEDCOM. It is a text file that you can open and view with Notepad or another text editor and is a log of the import process. It should tell you the names of the file imported, the exporting program and the importing program with date-time followed by errors encountered.

If Ancestry is truly sending you a .LST, then you must be uploading to Ancestry, not downloading...

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

One other thought: assuming that you are correctly following the Ancestry download procedure and there is no GEDCOM file as a result, try using a different Internet browser. It just struck me that maybe something did change in Internet Explorer in the January updates from Microsoft.

#15 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

I would second what Tom says about trying a different browser. The browser you are using may be blocking the download. Also, be sure you know where the browser you are using is storing downloads.

I may not be remembering correctly, but it seems to me that years ago most browsers opened a File->Save type of window during a download so you could see the name of the file being downloaded and so you could specify where to save it. But through the years, the style has changed so that the browser often just downloads the file in the background without telling you the name of the file or where it put it. Well, it may tell you the name of the file after it downloads it, but it still probably won't tell you where it put it.

The default is usually a folder called Downloads which will be one of your Favorites in Windows Explorer (at least in Windows 7). Where the downloads go is usually specified browser by browser rather than being a Windows-wide specification. I have all my browsers set to a download location that is different than the default and which is more convenient to the way I work with folders than is the default. So look at your browser settings for download.

Also, do open the LST file with a text editor such as Notepad to see what it says. There may be some error messages that will give a clue as to what is going on.

Jerry

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

And you are waiting for this button to appear on the Ancestry page?

472-14.png

Follow the tip and right-click on the button, then choose "Save target as..." or "Save link as..." to control the name and destination of the GEDCOM file.

Note that all of your respondents agree that this is not a RootsMagic issue. It might be nice if RootsMagic did as PAF and Ancestral Quest did on installation and tell Windows to associate .ged GEDCOM files with it. However, that would only save a few keystrokes per import and, in the overall long list of wished for enhancements, would receive a very low number of votes in a survey of what is needed most.  

#17 Janke

Janke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

Thank you all. I will soon close this discussion as i do understand it is not a rootsmagic issue. I just want to say AGAIN that of course i'm following the download procedure correctly, 'i've been doing so for years as i said! (it was routine action!) and yes I DO know how to "right" click.. I finally phoned  to Ancestry customer help where i could talk to a person "directly"; she didn't quite understand exactly what was happening as well, but her suggestion was indeed to try another browser... personally i think it might be interesting to get all my history cleaned up, in case some cookie is blocking; and yes i did open the LST file with adobe and it was full of "error" messages, which looked slightly too confusing to me... it definitely wasn't a tree...

I also asked her whether my tree was "safe" on ancestry, even if i lost my name, password, mail and all my backups... ( i'm a non-paying member; was drawn in when Rootsweb got together with ancestry) - she said it would always be there, even for non-paying members... :) so i'm slightly less worried about making enough downloads. As long as there's one safe place... when time i'll start tinkering with browser (i'm firefox) and history and cookie refreshing and all that... thanx all!

#18 DeaneHunter

DeaneHunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

And you are waiting for this button to appear on the Ancestry page?

472-14.png

Follow the tip and right-click on the button, then choose "Save target as..." or "Save link as..." to control the name and destination of the GEDCOM file.

Note that all of your respondents agree that this is not a RootsMagic issue. It might be nice if RootsMagic did as PAF and Ancestral Quest did on installation and tell Windows to associate .ged GEDCOM files with it. However, that would only save a few keystrokes per import and, in the overall long list of wished for enhancements, would receive a very low number of votes in a survey of what is needed most.  

TOM, FYI.. I just tried a download of a new tree that I just created on Ancestry.

The file downloaded without any file extension at all

Windows identifies it simply as "file"

I opened it by sending it to VIM

here's what vim shows;

0 HEAD
1 CHAR UTF-8
1 SOUR Ancestry.com Family Trees
2 VERS (2010.3)
2 NAME Ancestry.com Family Trees
2 CORP Ancestry.com
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
0 @P1@ INDI
1 BIRT
2 DATE 19 Mar 1878
2 PLAC Prince Edward Island, Canada
1 SEX M
1 DEAT
2 DATE 28 Jul 1968
2 PLAC Marion, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
1 NAME Bismark /Ladner/
1 FAMC @F2@
1 FAMS @F1@
0 @P2@ INDI
1 BIRT
2 DATE 23 Sep 1834
1 SEX M
1 DEAT
2 DATE 16 Oct 1908
1 NAME John /Ladner/
1 FAMS @F2@
0 @P3@ INDI
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1882
2 PLAC Massachusetts, USA
1 SEX F
1 DEAT
2 DATE 1952
2 PLAC Massachusetts, USA
1 NAME Susan A. /Dexter/
1 FAMS @F1@
0 @F1@ FAM
1 HUSB @P1@
1 WIFE @P3@
0 @F2@ FAM
1 HUSB @P2@
1 CHIL @P1@
2 _FREL Natural
0 TRLR

I cannot show what the windows properties list shows, but the file type is "file", and it has no extension at all

#19 DeaneHunter

DeaneHunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

FYI,too... I right-clicked and selected open with... browsed to gedcom validator and opened it with that. here's the log;

GEDCOM Validator log

W02 Line: 1 Tag 'SUBM' is mandatory under tag 'HEAD'.‎
W04 Line: 2 'UTF-8' is not a valid <CHARACTER_SET>.‎
W13 Line: 3 Data for tag 'SOUR' exceeds the maximum length of 20 characters.‎
I03 Line: 47 Valid user defined tag '_FREL'.‎

Hope this helps, you can just purge this after you've looked at it, or tell me and I'll delete it.

#20 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

Well, that's definitely a GEDCOM file, even though Ancestry isn't identifying it as such by giving it the .GED suffix. I pasted the lines from "0 HEAD" to "0 TRLR" into a new Notepad file, saved it as "junk2.ged" and successfully imported it to a new RM6 database. 3 individuals total.

So perhaps Ancestry.com's download procedure is omitting the suffix, but the file provided appears to be a valid GEDCOM.