• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DeborahWeeks

DeborahWeeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

I want to create a website in RM7 and I'm planning on making it private (password protected) and keep living people private.  When I let my family know the password for access, it's possible some would like their names showing.  Is it possible to show some living people but not all? 

From the RM7 video I think I understood that if I made a named group of living people and then made a tree excluding them, nothing about them would show.  I'd like to show living people, with their information, if that's OK with them, but it will be an individual situation.

What's the best way to handle this?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

There isn't anyway to privatize some living people and not others. About the only way I could think of getting around this is to mark those that want their names to show deceased. Then mark private all their facts you don't want to show. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

Create 2 Groups. 1 for people to include and 1 for living people to exclude.

I would keep the Living people to exclude as a permanent Group. And, would probably keep both Groups permanently. With the new QuickGroup feature, it is easy to add new persons to existing Groups or change the Groups a person is in.

When you are ready to Publish online, Color code the Group of the people to include as your chosen color..

Drag and drop people into a new database. Choose select people from a list.

Mark, Color coding is [color]

Change the color coding in the new database if needed.

Publish online from the second database.

If you don't want to use color coding, create a gedcom using the people to include Group and import the gedcom into a new database.

#4 DeborahWeeks

DeborahWeeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: living people, website