11 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

If there was only wish that I would like to see addressed in an update, I would like to have the ability to delete all individuals with a particular COLOR CODE

If I had two wishes, I would like to have the ability to merge multiple SOURCES the same way multiple PLACES are merged (tagging several at a time and merge into one).

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

If there was only wish that I would like to see addressed in an update, I would like to have the ability to delete all individuals with a particular COLOR CODE

I very much doubt you will ever see this just from the pure risk of messing up. Why not export a gedcom, mark everyone and then unmark Color Coding > is and import into a new database. At least you will still have the original to fall back on if necessary at a later date.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

I very much doubt you will ever see this just from the pure risk of messing up.

That will be very much the rationale given for not implementing it but it is a weak argument. The risk is mitigated by making a backup and making it a challenge to execute (are you sure?). For those with immediate need to delete a bunch of people without the machinations and risks of GEDCOM, here's an outboard technique: Delete Many

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

I agree. There was a time in an earlier version when an entire database could be deleted with a single click. Stupid me did exactly that. I suggested that a "second chance" option be added. Bruce was kind enough to add the protection feature of "ARE YOU SURE?"  I'm sure this could be implemented with very little coding. I use color coding for a variety of cases. I think this is one of the more important RM features.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Even with that "second chance" before deleting an entire database we get support tickets or phone calls at least once a week where someone has still gone ahead and done exactly that. People just don't read. They also don't seem to do backups so there never is one when we try to help them restore their mistake. Of course its all our fault.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

Its too bad that they don't have an vaccine against "STUPID." Why should RM have to worry about the idiots of this world. I think they should concentrate on assisting those of us who can be classified as having a modicum of intelligence. I have been a RM user since it was Family Origins 1.0 distributed by Parsons Software.  Bruce should cater to us and forget about those who are too stupid to take up genealogy in the first place. I c an't begin to imagin what kind of twisted family tree these people might fit into.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Nothing is completely idiot proof, but I have wondered why a bulk delete could not be accomplished with some sort of built-in backup. I would picture it working as follows. You would enter the hypothetical "bulk delete" dialog which would ask you who you wanted to delete. You would do the mark/unmark thing in RM Explorer to tell it who to delete. It could be "delete all descendants of John Doe" or "delete all the purple people" or whatever - all the things that RM Explorer supports. Then RM would make a copy of your database (without asking you - it would just make the copy!) and then ask you if you really wanted to do the delete. If you said YES, it would do the delete in your current database but you would have a backup. I suppose you could then delete the backup,but you wouldn't be able to avoid making it.

Obviously, you could accomplish more or less the same thing be dragging and dropping all the people you wanted to keep to a new database. But drag and drop is fraught with all sorts of nasty gotchas. So I think the "make a copy before bulk delete" approach would be the best.

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

I wish we could cater to our power users and not those that cause "ID 10 T" errors, but support and public relations issues they cause really make a company stop and reconsider things they will support and add. People really like to bad mouth a company when they lose a lifetime of genealogy research, regardless of how it happened.

I'm not saying we will never add this but we really, really have to make sure all bases are covered before something like mass deletion inside of a database is ever added. Once you do that you have to address what comes next - missing RINs and the reuse of them. The only way to "fill" them in is to do a drag n' drop, then your back to square one again. One simply feature causes a lot of other issues we have to be mindful of and take into consideration for everyone's needs.  Just giving you a day in the life of RootsMagic development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

I would really like it if the software would not try to put all kinds of safeguards into the software to help prevent people from 'damaging' their data. We have to put the onus on the people using the software to use sound judgement when doing things. By putting all these checks in place 'just in case someone makes an error' makes it difficult and cumbersome for all other people. We don't need to be 'held by the hand' every time we try to do something. I would prefer that the developers spend their time addressing the real issues and enhancements that people want rather than preventing people from making 'idiot' mistakes.

Sorry if I sound off on this issue, but I think we need to put more responsibility back on the people who use this software. If they make a mistake, then they have to fix it! Let's get on to the real development and address the real issues!

Joyce

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Nothing is completely idiot proof, 

Tis true, and when you start getting close someone just invents a bigger idiot lol.

but I have wondered why a bulk delete could not be accomplished with some sort of built-in backup.

I read the latest on this thread earlier and was thinking about the same thing Jerry has outlined. Bit like RM realizing "this idiot is about to something they will likely regret, so I better make a resotore point on the fly for when they find out and start ringing support"

I would really like it if the software would not try to put all kinds of safeguards into the software to help prevent people from 'damaging' their data. We have to put the onus on the people using the software to use sound judgement when doing things. By putting all these checks in place 'just in case someone makes an error' makes it difficult and cumbersome for all other people. We don't need to be 'held by the hand' every time we try to do something. I would prefer that the developers spend their time addressing the real issues and enhancements that people want rather than preventing people from making 'idiot' mistakes.

Sorry if I sound off on this issue, but I think we need to put more responsibility back on the people who use this software. If they make a mistake, then they have to fix it! Let's get on to the real development and address the real issues!

Joyce

I do agree and do wish RM would start catering more for power users, you can do no more than strongle advise the making of a backup before some operations, you can do nothing with those who choose to ignore that advice.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

I do understand all your points. I just hope you understand if we go that route then we would need to hire more support and the price of the software would increase. Even if you tell people you can't help them after they make an awful mistake, it still takes time and manpower to repeatedly tell them that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

I love the comment made by Jerry (c24m48) who stated the problem and solution in words that I may not have made clear. I just can't see where this would be a major programming effort. Neither can I see where additional support persons would be needed. If you can delete an entire database (which I did in error, and which Bruce found a solution to prevent) why cant this problem be solved the same way. Thanks for your 2 cents, Jery.