Adding new individuals

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Robert St-Gelais_*

Guest_Robert St-Gelais_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:56 AM

When adding new individuals..... the screen has a box for birth, death, and burial.... why does it not have a box for baptism on the same screen? This would be so much easier to enter all this new information all at one time instead of re-opening the screen for the new individual and having to click on "add a fact" and then finding Baptism on the list and clicking on Baptism and opening up just the Baptism screen. I also do not like that if you forget to enter the sex of an individual it is still accepted as ? I would prefer a screen to show up Male, Female, Unknown and one of the three needs to be checked off before the new person is accepted. Bob St. Gelais.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:20 PM

I suspect that the line had to be drawn somewhere as to which facts to include in this limited screen. Birth, death, and burial were the most common facts and generally occur at some point for all people, so were logical choices for the screen. Baptism (and some of the other facts) are not as universal, so likely weren't included.

Perhaps the screen can be made larger, with scroll bars to maneuver up and down in order to enter (all?) facts at the time. However, facts requiring more than just date and place would need additional fields to be added to the screen (plus sort date, etc.) if the Edit Fact screen were to be completely avoided.

As to entering sex, I think your suggestion as to forcing a choice to be made (without the Unknown default) may be a good one. That way, its entry wouldn't be unintentionally missed.

#3 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:05 PM

As far as forcing the choice of a sex, male, female, or unknown when adding an individual, I disagree. There have been times (rarely) that the name is not conclusive and I simply do not know the sex of an individual. The less things a program "forces" me to do, the happier I am.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

I may not have been clear in my response to the entering of the sex issue.

Since most all individuals would be entered as male or female by most users, I thought it made sense for the sex field to remain blank when the screen first came up. The choices in the drop-down box would then be "Male", "Female", and "Unknown", with one of the choices being required for entry.

However, "Unknown" currently comes up automatically. As a result, if the user overlooks this field (easy to do, I must confess), "Unknown" is unintentionally assigned to the individual in question. Since most users wouldn't choose this setting, they'd need to change this item anyway, whether or not being forced to do so.

Hope this helps!