5 replies to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

In reference to the request in the RootsMagic 7 discussion page about whether or not RM could produce an All-in-One Chart, I tried an experiment.

1] I made a copy of my database called Dummy.

2] For the test, I thought that if I cheated and had fake common parents for all of my great grandparents, a descendant wall chart from the fake common parents would produce an interesting All-in-One Chart.

3] I then color coded descendants from each great grandfather a different color.  Note that only the last color for an individual remains.  Previous colors are replaced.

4] I then made a descendant wall chart starting with the fake common parents.

5] The resulting chart with over 1500 individuals would have been well over 100 feet long if printed.  The color coding was interesting to say the least.

6] However, the test was a failure in producing an All-in-One chart.  Some areas were OK.  Other families had weird cross-linking with wrong children.

7] Results were interesting, but a practical failure.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

I had intended to give credit to Laura for her scheme of consolidating numerous small trees with a link to a fake common ancestor.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

On initial testing. I had asked for an 8 generation descendant chart.  That was a total mess.

Further testing on a one generation chart was OK and had all great grandparents displayed OK and with correct color coding.

It blows up on a two generation chart with duplicated familes.  The first one has the male ancestor on the left.  The duplicate has the female on the left.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

I was thinking about experimenting with this when I get some time this weekend. Did you create fake common parents for all of your PATERNAL great grandparents and then SEPARATELY create fake common parents for all of your MATERNAL great grandparents, followed by creating a common set of fake parents joining those maternal and paternal origins together?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

No.  The fake parents are common to each of the 4 sets of my great grandparents, both male and female.  Of course, this scheme makes no sense biologically.

If you try this, make certain that you work with a copy of your database.

My color coding brings up a long standing request on propagation of colors by either ancestors or descendants.  On the propagation in either direction, it would be nice if the progress of coloring would halt if it hits someone who already has a color.  This probably should be an option.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

Since everyone in my database that is related to me and their spouses already has a color based on lineage lines, that would present a big problem if I decided to change the colors around.

That would mean I would have to clear the colors for two lineages before I could change the colors and redo a lot of color coding of individuals where a person jn one line married a person in another line. That can get complicated, and also, cause a lot of problems when color coding for other reasons.

I would definitely want an option so I could decline.