7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

I can't seem to find the information about joining Myheritage for $75. Is that promotion over? Was it for the family tree site and the data subscription as well? Is it for new members only, or will they add that on for present members as well?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

I think I recall the mailing list discussion that the offer had been extended until Monday (yesterday).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

As far as I can tell, based on my experience with an auto-renewal:

1. Data subscription required to access records for Record Matches - $119.40/yr (that's what I was charged on renewal that resulted in only a data subscription)

2. Premium Plus Site subscription required to access trees for Smart Matches - $119.40/yr for Premium Plus, a 25% discount on the regular price of $159.20 (and what I have to pay to extend my Premium Plus site subscription)

They seem to do a really good job of hiding the cost from you until you go to subscribe for a free trial at which time you select your subscription and authorize payment that will proceed in 7 days unless you cancel.

Currently, if you subscribe via World Vital Records (my data subscription on MyHeritage began as a WVR subscription before it was bought out), maybe you can get both for $89.99 (a claimed savings of 54%, i.e. on $195.63). See https://www.worldvit...adb=wvrppc&ft=1

It would appear that way from the description but then I thought that I should have got both for $119.40 on the auto-renewal. So be wary. As you can see, none of the prices add up to make any sense.

They have a really aggressive subscription system - I supplied a seldom used email address and my name to their Free Trial entry screen on Mozilla Firefox and the next thing I knew my Chrome browser which had been viewing my subscribed account based on my busy email address was now logged into the new trial! How did that happen! I ended up with a new Basic Site without completing the subscription and a different browser picked it up.

Also, understand that MyHeritage is keeping the info transmitted from RootsMagic for WebHints (i.e., the vital facts data on the subject person and immediate family members) for an indefinite period of time. Info on living people is transmitted (or we have not heard explicitly that it is not transmitted).

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

Also, understand that MyHeritage is keeping the info transmitted from RootsMagic for WebHints (i.e., the vital facts data on the subject person and immediate family members) for an indefinite period of time. Info on living people is transmitted (or we have not heard explicitly that it is not transmitted).

Tom are you saying that when they view my RM file they are actually keeping and storing all of my genealogy data without my approval ?????

What rite have they to do that ???

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

See the discussion leading to http://forums.rootsm...ulb/#entry69907
RootsMagic's WebHints process sends info about each person in the Main View when it is Pedigree, Family or Descendant to MyHeritage's search engines. When you open a WebHint URL, you see some of that info on the MyHeritage page of matches in the side panel titled "In my RootsMagic tree". Click on the link in my other post and you will see the info that was sent from my database three weeks ago. It has not been discarded as one would expect from the descriptions provided by RootsMagic and MyHeritage.

While also assuring us that the info is private, the longer it remains in their system, the greater the risk. View yourself and your children in RootsMagic with WebHints enabled and their info is transmitted to the FamilySearch and/or MyHeritage search engines. What might retailers and security agencies give to collect that info? I don't know and maybe there are better ways for them to obtain desirable data about people and maybe it does not bother me. But full disclosure would help each of us to make informed decisions.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

See the discussion leading to http://forums.rootsm...ulb/#entry69907
RootsMagic's WebHints process sends info about each person in the Main View when it is Pedigree, Family or Descendant to MyHeritage's search engines. When you open a WebHint URL, you see some of that info on the MyHeritage page of matches in the side panel titled "In my RootsMagic tree". Click on the link in my other post and you will see the info that was sent from my database three weeks ago. It has not been discarded as one would expect from the descriptions provided by RootsMagic and MyHeritage.

While also assuring us that the info is private, the longer it remains in their system, the greater the risk. View yourself and your children in RootsMagic with WebHints enabled and their info is transmitted to the FamilySearch and/or MyHeritage search engines. What might retailers and security agencies give to collect that info? I don't know and maybe there are better ways for them to obtain desirable data about people and maybe it does not bother me. But full disclosure would help each of us to make informed decisions.

Tom the less we are told the more of a worry it is of sharing our details,especially with the living people.

#7 Holm D T

Holm D T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Tom how did you Answer his question?

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Tom how did you Answer his question?

Whose question? What was it?