• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DeborahWeeks

DeborahWeeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm confused about webhints.  I have just upgraded to RM7 and thought I was going to be able to add those webhints to my RootsMagic tree, but I'm not seeing that happen.  Am I just adding them to some tree at Family Search?  Is this feature one that simply helps out FSFT? I'm happy to help whoever I can, but I need to spend my time working on my tree.  I thought this was going to make it easier to add records and sources to my RM tree (kind of like I can do on my Ancestry.com tree) but nothing is being added.

Also, my first hint connected me to the right person, but someone connected the wrong father to that person.  How does one fix mistakes that show up as hints?

Were my expectations wrong about what webhints are for?  If I'm doing something wrong and simply making a mistake in the process, I'd like to correct that. 

Thanks for your help.

#2 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Deborah web hints do not automatically transfer into your file

Web hints are there for your convenience in case they are details that you did not have and can be transferred by you manually over into your file to be checked on records later. This does not happen automatically as you may not want these records as they may not be incorrect.

With the details having the wrong father you can correct this your self should you wish to, this is up to you.

Regards

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

On the record that is incorrect the answer depends on where the mistake is. If the FT has the wrong father then you need to delete that relationship, not the person, just the relationship.  If its the record attached to the wrong person then you remove that record that is attached. FamilySearch Support can walk you through both steps, because they can only be done on their website. 

Email: support@familysearch.org

Call: 866-406-1830

Right now WebHints do not have a way of importing the information back to RootsMagic. Its possible in time the other companies will provide this feature in the API so that can happen.  This is very new technology and RootsMagic is the first to be working with it.

If you have attached any records to individuals on FamilySearch Family Tree they will show up as sources there. If you switch over and use the FamilySearch Person Tools in RootsMagic you can open the Source tab to move that attached records (source) into RootsMagic as a source. If the attached record let you create a fact on Family Tree then move the fact over on the Share Data tab first so you can later attach the source to it. The source will contain the WebTag back to the original record so you can locate it to download later.

Renee
RootsMagic