Photo

Productivity Discussion for current and future versions

productivity places sources citations research manager place details media gallery reporting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#61 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:30 PM

Another piece of functionality which was lost in the transition to RM4 and continues to be a potential source of duplication is the checking when a place is edited in Edit Person and I suppose I should also add the automatic merging of exact duplicate places RM3 done.

placeamend.png

Peesonally, I am glad that screen no longer pops up.

Recently I was checking Fnd A Grave for burials.

I had a cemetery place, Bradford Cemetery in my Place list.

The cemetery that came up for some other family members was Bradford Memorial Park Cemetery, same county, same state.

In RM 3, I would have just changed the place name and prpbably never thought any more about it.

As it was, I did more research and found out the family members I already had in my database where buried in the old cemetery with the name I already had and other family members I was working on was buried in the newer cemetery across the road from the older cemetery.

The two cemeteries have different geocodes.

#62 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3263 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

Of course, we are all anxiously awaiting the day that Memorize Fact and Paste from Memory along with Copy Fact to Group come off the tracking system. My fast method is to use the SQLite query Copy Fact to Group. I imagine a user interface for it within RootsMagic should not require much developer time.

This very old wish cropped up on another thread by TomH and being productivity related and in my opinion a much needed enhancement I believe it deserves to be included on this thread.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#63 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3263 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

In addition to providing more information in the "is this person already in your file" pop up to help make the best informed decision the workflow when it is the same person should be to EDIT and add the new information. At present I need to remember or note the existing individual, select cancel and navigate to them again to add the new information, this is a counter productive to efficient workflow.

Therefore please add an EDIT button so the individual already existant in the database can be opened for edit.

is-this-person-already-in-your-file.png

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#64 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#65 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3263 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

Add Hotkey for Todays Date Timestamp for Note Edits

When I edit Notes and make some personal research notes against individuals I add the date (todays date) after the note edit. Normally I have this on the clipboard but when I go to copy and paste something else it gets dropped and I am back to square one.

At present Ctrl+D does not seem to be in use in RM6 although it has uses in other applications and would seem a logical and easy to remember choice. If not preferred by development then a 'calendar style' button within any Notes window to insert a time stamp would be a reasonable alternative.

datestamp.png

Root

#66 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

I'm going to close this thread out. It's getting to long and has to many varied features on it. It makes it hard for us to refer back to requests are they were originally stated and discussed in the tracking system. 

It's really easier on us if you put enhancement requests on the Wish List one feature at a time. Posting duplicate request in various forums makes it difficult for everyone to follow.

Renee
RootsMagic