Photo

Productivity Discussion for current and future versions

productivity places sources citations research manager place details media gallery reporting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#21 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

AND, bring up media associated with the source to the forefront of the screen as well. Media for sources is seriously deeply buried right now.

Jerry

Jerry, that is a very good point and the one obstacle that prevents me from adding documented source information to citations which would be a logical location. The other barrier being the lack of visibility of a media source attachment from Edit Person screen of Rootsmagic explorer.

So question is how to represent the existence of such valuable original documentation attachments within both Edit Person, RM Explorer and hopefully DSM in the future?

How do you label another column if one were to take the simplistic approach?

One thing which comes to mind and I doubt we will ever see is a camera icon instead of a check mark in the source column and that indication would need to be replicated on the Citation Manager window when opened with maybe a View All Source Media mini Media Gallery window.

I'm sure there will be other thoughts but it would be nice to add such original source material where it logically belongs without losing its existence from view.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#22 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Vyger said: "it would be nice to add such original source material where it logically belongs without losing its existence from view."

I used to link/tag media only to a Person or Fact/Event - never to Sources or Citations. Over the last year or so I've been more and more creating link/tags for the appropriate Citation (very rarely to a Master Source, since I am a source lumper) _AND_ for the most appropriate Fact/Event. This makes the media link visible in the key person's Edit Person screen, as well as being available (by burrowing into the Citation Manager) wherever I've copied that citation.

It also means that when viewing the Media Properties, I get a list of everywhere that media provides source documentation. The majority of the items in my Media Gallery are images (JPG and PNG predominate), but there's also a smattering of other formats (PDF, HTML, MHT, TXT, and others).

#23 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

Those are all valid performance concerns, Laura, which can be addressed by design. To get 1 or 1000 results from a given SQLite database does not take very much different times. What can be proportional is the post-query processing and display. Limiting the query to 50 or some other reasonable number puts a cap on the time taken. And maybe that is a threshold of unwieldiness.
Do you not see any advantage to being able to, from within the Citation Manager, see other citations of the selected source, copy any of those citations to some other person-fact, add citations of that source to other people-facts?

Tom, the way I see tagging working for source citations is:

Column 1 - Master source

Column 2- Source details tagged to the Master Source. Choices for New, Edit and Delete. Choosing New and Edit would bring up the Edit source screen as accessed now from the Citation Manager.

Column 3 - Tag the person and fact to the Master source, Source detail if there is no Source detail selected or just the Master source if there is no Source detail. Have New, Edit or Delete. New and Edit would bring up a screen similar to the current Video tagging choice screen.

I use an individual fact for each person and don't share facts.

So, when I add a census record to existing or new people, I open the head of the household's Edit person screen, link the Census fact, enter the date and place, transcribe the record in the note, customize the sentence if needed and mark or unmark Groups.

Then I open the Citation Manager and add the source and Source details. Then I memorize the source.

Repeat for each person of the household and paste the source. Then, I am finished and the source citation is linked to the person and fact I meant to link them to.

If source citations were tagged, I would still need to have the fact linked in every person's record I was going to tag the source to and enter all the data for that fact.

Then, I would need to open a Citation Manager screen and link a Master source,

Choose a Source detail from what could be a long list or create a new one. There would need to be enough information for each Source detail for me to make sure I was choosing the correct Source detail if I was editing a source detail.

Then, I would need to tag the person and the fact for each family member and be very careful I was tagging the right people and the right fact(s). My same year, state, county that has 4 John Smith's comes to mind.

Tagging the Source details and people and facts just caused me lots more extra work choosing from a source details list and with more chances for error than opening a person's edit person screen and memorizing or pasting a source and source detail.

The only real benefit that I, personally, see in tagging Sources would be in editing a source detail only once or deleting or editing the source detail or people and/or facts tags.

I would prefer not to lose the ability to Memorize and Paste a source when adding new sources and source details to a person's record whatever Bruce may eventually come up with.

#24 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:36 AM

NARRITIVE REPORT PREVIEW BUTTON on Edit Person Screen

Very often when I produce Narrative Reports I need to do a lot of post-production editing before passing on to the relevant party where I really should be back in Rootsmagic making the required changes for future report production, currently it’s the quickest option to get the result I require.

An enhancement which I, and I am sure others, would find very useful would be a Narrative Report preview of just the individual currently in focus in the Edit person screen. The sentence preview for the highlighted fact is very useful for sentence template construction but does not, and from a practical point of view really cannot, show how follow on Notes will be displayed nor the complete report for that person.

My suggestion is essentially a shortcut Preview button which would replicate Reports > Narritive Reports > 1 Generation and would produce that preview on screen so the user can easily make the required edits and corrections before leaving the Edit Person screen.

This should be a simple enhancement to impliment as all the background modules are currently in place.

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#25 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

I would prefer not to lose the ability to Memorize and Paste a source when adding new sources and source details to a person's record whatever Bruce may eventually come up with.

I would certainly agree with this particular point. When support for tagging media was added, it remained possible to connect media with various objects in RM the old way. I still use the old way a lot, and it would be a major loss for me if the old way were to be removed. I think similar comments would apply if the ability to tag source citations were added. I would still want to be able to do it the old way as well as being able to do it the new way.

Jerry

#26 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

This should be a simple enhancement to impliment as all the background modules are currently in place.

I'm dubious that it would be very simple, but it would be extremely valuable. It as been suggested before (maybe Renee can find it) as a proposed Report View. It doesn't matter to me if it is a full blown Report View in its own right or if it's just a Preview button. The idea is to be able to edit a narrative report from within RM and for the edited data to be saved just as if you were editing from the Edit Person window. Then, when you actually print the report it will look just like what you edited. Imagine that you are editing an RTF file from RM in Microsoft Word,, and that the edits you make in Word get reflected back into the RM database.

Jerry

#27 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Column 1 - Master source

Column 2- Source details tagged to the Master Source. Choices for New, Edit and Delete. Choosing New and Edit would bring up the Edit source screen as accessed now from the Citation Manager.

For this to work well, a significant and badly needed design change would need to be made to the way sources and their citations are stored. The problem arises in the proposed Column 2. With the current design of the underlying data, the proposed column 2 would be full of duplicate Source details like the simple example I gave with a book and many different but identical citations for page 12 or p.12. It would need to work more like Places and Place Details, except that I very much like your columns proposal rather than having to drill down into another level of windows as you do to get from Places to Place Details.

Jerry

#28 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

I'm dubious that it would be very simple, but it would be extremely valuable. It as been suggested before (maybe Renee can find it) as a proposed Report View. It doesn't matter to me if it is a full blown Report View in its own right or if it's just a Preview button. The idea is to be able to edit a narrative report from within RM and for the edited data to be saved just as if you were editing from the Edit Person window. Then, when you actually print the report it will look just like what you edited. Imagine that you are editing an RTF file from RM in Microsoft Word,, and that the edits you make in Word get reflected back into the RM database.

Jerry

Jerry, I wasn't suggesting edits would be saved within RM, it would simply be beneficial to me to see how the report looks including Notes before leaving the Edit Person screen. I would be able to edit notes, add privatization etc and be happy with how that persons report will look before leaving the Edit Person screen rather than finding out much further down the road.

In simple terms I am suggesting a one click Narrative Preview rather than the current 4 clicks to get the same report.

It would also be nice to have the ability to deselect some facts from printing here rather than disabling them completely, kinda like custom sentencing.

Root

#29 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

NARRITIVE REPORT PREVIEW BUTTON on Edit Person Screen

Very often when I produce Narrative Reports I need to do a lot of post-production editing before passing on to the relevant party where I really should be back in Rootsmagic making the required changes for future report production, currently it’s the quickest option to get the result I require.

An enhancement which I, and I am sure others, would find very useful would be a Narrative Report preview of just the individual currently in focus in the Edit person screen. The sentence preview for the highlighted fact is very useful for sentence template construction but does not, and from a practical point of view really cannot, show how follow on Notes will be displayed nor the complete report for that person.

My suggestion is essentially a shortcut Preview button which would replicate Reports > Narritive Reports > 1 Generation and would produce that preview on screen so the user can easily make the required edits and corrections before leaving the Edit Person screen.

Vyger, a button to customize the Toolbar for Narrative reports was added in Version 6.

Customize the Toolbar by adding the Narrative reports button

Click on the button in the Toolbar. It brings up the Narrative report screen.

Set up the report to your usual preferences.

I have mine set to 1 generations, but it is easy to change the generations when I need more.

Generate the report to preview.

There is also a button for the Family Group Sheet report.

Working from the Timelime view, I can make any changes needed without opening the Edit person screen.

#30 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Vyger, a button to customize the Toolbar for Narrative reports was added in Version 6.

Thanks Laura, I did know that but it cannot be used while the Edit Person screen is open so it is still 3 clicks instead of one.

Recently, trying to be more concise, I find myself jumping in and out of narrative reports making sure Facts and Notes read right before I leave the person but those 3 clicks instead of one are a pain when making several small edits.

Root

#31 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#32 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

RM is a fine program, but it is very linear and rigid in its use. I have always been very frustrated at how slow and cumbersome it is to enter and work with data. Any improvements along that regard would IMHO be a monumental improvement!

#33 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

Give hot-keys a try. I am amazed at how quickly I can add data once I changed to using the short cut key strokes instead of using my mouse. When I have a lot of family members to add I use the descendant view and hot keys to add them. If you use the short cut key strokes often enough you get a rhythm going and can sail through them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#34 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

RM is a fine program, but it is very linear and rigid in its use. I have always been very frustrated at how slow and cumbersome it is to enter and work with data. Any improvements along that regard would IMHO be a monumental improvement!

Give hot-keys a try. I am amazed at how quickly I can add data once I changed to using the short cut key strokes instead of using my mouse. When I have a lot of family members to add I use the descendant view and hot keys to add them. If you use the short cut key strokes often enough you get a rhythm going and can sail through them.

A true and honest observation by deckie49 and good suggestions by Renee.

However with the complete re-write for RM8 being well publicized I do hope the Rootsmagician is counting every click in an effort to help increase productivity and making the user interface more intuitive and flatter.

Root

#35 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

However with the complete re-write for RM8 being well publicized I do hope the Rootsmagician is counting every click in an effort to help increase productivity and making the user interface more intuitive and flatter.

We can always hope but I think "complete re-write" overstates what is likely happening. I believe that they are attempting to migrate the RootsMagic project from a development platform that was Windows-centric to a successor to that platform which supports more operating systems. The new development system is from the same company as the earlier one and so it is reasonable to expect that there is a large amount of the current code which will execute just fine on the multi-platform system without major change. And there will be some Windows-exclusive code that will have to be replaced. I suspect that they will try to be as non-disruptive as possible for current users as that goes hand-in-hand with least effort in getting a multi-platform version published.

OTOH, maybe there is so much Windows-exclusive stuff that zero-based redesign is necessary. I daresay that the mobile, read-only RootsMagic was developed on the new multi-platform system as a way of getting their feet wet. And maybe the new Publish Online feature which uploads the database file to the MyRootsMagic server is indicative of a software-in-the-cloud direction, much as we see with Office365 and Google Office... That would be radical.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#36 SteveNB

SteveNB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

I'm a new user of RM7, having switched over from FTM2012 this past weekend.  Everything is great so far and I'm quickly getting used to the differences.  But one thing is bothersome about the To-Do list, and I have searched the forums and the help and I don't see any way around this.  And maybe the previous suggestion to flatten or link the To-Do and other lists addresses this.  Anyway my To-Do list items are person or family related; for example, "Find the birth of Marie X."  However, there appears to be no way to jump from the To-Do list to the person or family identified in the task.  That means I have to exit from the To-Do list and find the person/family manually..  Coming from an Acadian/French background, you can imagine that the name Marie X or Joseph Y or Louis Z appears many times.  So I have to put sufficient identification in the To-Do item to uniquely identify the referenced person or family, and that isn't productive!  With FTM as long as I had associated the task with a person, I could click the "Go To" button and the "Edit Person" screen would appear for that person.  Am I misinterpreting the intented use for the To-Do list? 

#37 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

There isn't a way to go from the Lists>To-Do List for a person or family back to their Edit Person screen. This is an enhancement request in our tracking system.

If you turn on the Record Numbers after a person's name (Tools>File>Options>Generation>Number to display after name) you will see at the top of the To-Do item the name of the person(s) it is attached to and their record number. That makes it easier to locate them to view the Edit Person screen. You can see this also in the preview area on the To-Do item.

I usually title my To-Do items so the sort in a preferred order for me, and makes it easier for me to tell for they are for.

Person or Family

Hewitt, Daniel S. [OPEN] obituary

Hewitt, Daniel S, [CLOSED] birth certificate

General

[OPEN] Correct Historical Place Names

ZZ-[Closed] Facts with Text Dates

I also use *** to move things up in priority order. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#38 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

However, there appears to be no way to jump from the To-Do list to the person or family identified in the task. 

Beyond the ability to jump back and forth between ToDo list items and persons or families, there is a more general lack of integration of the ToDo list with the rest of RM. For example, you cannot color code or make groups based on ToDo list items, you can't search for individuals based on ToDo list items, etc. A solution is not to use the ToDo list at all, but rather to create a user defined fact called ToDo or Research or some such. That way when you are in a ToDo item, you are already in the Edit Person screen and no jumping is required. You can also color code and make groups based on the user defined fact, you can put the user defined facts into People View, and you can produce very useful Custom Reports based on the user defined fact.

Jerry

#39 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

There isn't a way to go from the Lists>To-Do List for a person or family back to their Edit Person screen. This is an enhancement request in our tracking system.

Renee is correct and these are all little things I would suggest really should be linked. To-Do lists got some makeover with the introduction of RM4 but some functionality was lost and never reinstated. Currently you cannot see an indication of the existence of a To-Do in either RM Explorer or the Edit Person screen whereas in RM3 you could see an indication of the existence on both RM Explorer and Edit Person not to mention Address.

No please don't add this as an enhancement request, it is a long outstanding miss that got lost in the bug squishing after RM4 was released.

RM3 screenshot below.

todoindication.png

Root

#40 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Another piece of functionality which was lost in the transition to RM4 and continues to be a potential source of duplication is the checking when a place is edited in Edit Person and I suppose I should also add the automatic merging of exact duplicate places RM3 done.

placeamend.png

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: productivity, places, sources, citations, research manager, place details, media gallery, reporting