#1 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:00 AM

Using RM 7.0.2.2

Husband and wife have 16 children.  In the "Family" tab view, 15 of the 16 children sort correctly by birth date ("Born" field).  All dates have full dd MMM yyyy format.  The 16th person remains at the end of the "Born" field list regardless of what "Sort date" value I assign to the birth fact. I added a 17th child as a test and it would not sort correctly either.

Is it possible that the Born date only sorts correctly for 15 children or less?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:28 AM

I'm using RM 6.3.3.2

I have a couple in my database from early New France who are listed with 19 children. Some have full birthdates, the others have just a year. They were in the correct order. I opened the [Rearrange children[ dialog, moved the last child up a few slots, and closed. Then I reopened [Rearrange children], clicked the [Sort by Birth Date] button. The last child moved back to the correct position, and the triplets re-ordered (but stayed together).

I'd suggest verifying that your 16 children all have correct birthdates.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

Using RM 7.0.2.2

Husband and wife have 16 children.  In the "Family" tab view, 15 of the 16 children sort correctly by birth date ("Born" field).  All dates have full dd MMM yyyy format.  The 16th person remains at the end of the "Born" field list regardless of what "Sort date" value I assign to the birth fact. I added a 17th child as a test and it would not sort correctly either.

Is it possible that the Born date only sorts correctly for 15 children or less?

Sorry for the dumb question, but did you actually sort the children after getting the sort dates assigned? They don't sort themselves automatically, even with correct sort dates. You have to tell RM to sort them.

Jerry

#4 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

Thank you, zhangrau,

Your reply allowed me to fix it.  The 'bug' was in my head, not in the program. :mellow:

Sorry that I seem to bother you with things I should know.  Really thought it was a bug.

Regards, Mardon

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

If you don't ask, we can't help. And there are some VERY knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

The question and answers may also help other users.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

But do not use the sort by birth order if you have some children without birth dates and some with birth dates. If they are already arranged in the correct birth order, the sorting command may/will ruin the birth order.  It depends on which children do not have a known date and what order they are already in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sort