• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ovivtopher

Ovivtopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

I created a backup copy of my RM 4 files on an external drive.  I purchased RM 7 and installed it on a new laptop.  When I went through the process to restore the backup from the external drive to RM 7 on the laptop, I selected the rmgb file of 546 kb, but the program used the earlier Roots Magic File of 2123 Kb (which was also on the external drive) to install.  The Roots Magic File was dated a month earlier than the rmgb file, so they should be similar as I did not work on the file during the time up to the backup.  My questions are:

1.  Why didn't it import the backup rmgb file?

2.  What is the difference between the rmgb and the Roots Magic File?

3.  Should I assume the files are the same even tough the KB are different?

4.   I have other files to install/restore to RM 7 on the laptop, should I go through the same process or do it differently to make sure I get the rmgb file?

Thank you!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

If you truly used File > Restore then it extracted the database file from the compressed backup file and would have warned you if it was going to overwrite an existing rmgc file in the folder to which it was restoring. The rmgb file is just a compressed version of the rmgc file using the Zip utility. If you change the extension to .zip, you can open it and see the actual date of the backup rmgc file.

The KB will be different even if no backup/restore was involved because the rmgc file structure changed a bit between RM4 and RM7.

You should not have to change your process.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Ovivtopher

Ovivtopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

TomH,

So, basically the program pulled the Roots Magic File from the backup rmgb (zip) file and not necessarily off the external drive.  My backup files are always dated, so I don't need to look at the date.  Thanks for your clarification.