6 replies to this topic

#1 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Hi!

I am considering purchasing an Asus book for the primary reason of using RM 7.0 on it.  I'm looking at the cheapest version with 2 GB of RAM and I was wondering if anyone is using one and how it's going.  I have A LOT of images and I realize I will need to use a memory card for them.  I have an older laptop and an iPad and I'm hoping to merge the two together with the Asus but I'm afraid it might not be up to task.  Wondering to the 4 GB of RAM is worth the extra expense.

Thanks for your advice. :-)

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

Do you mean the T100 with the 10.1" screen"
Specs:  http://www.asus.com/...specifications/

I use an ASUS laptop with a 17" wide format screen, Win7 64-bit, 2.20 GHz Intel i7 processor, 12GB RAM and 1-1/4 TB of hard drive, and a glidepad. I don't use the glidepad - I always use a USB mouse - much easier on the hand, although it requires a bit more desk space. This laptop is significantly more powerful than the T100. The T100's lower processor speed and smaller RAM will make it run RM more slowly, and will create some limits in the size of Wall Charts, Publisher books, and other features that I access frequently.

If you search the forums you'll find some concerns about the appearance of some RM views on smaller screens, and about the need for little fingers to be effective for onscreen typing.

I wonder if you could put RM-to-Go on a USB drive and take it to a store for a test drive? However, don't be rude and do this in a local computer store, then go buy the T100 on the web to save a few bucks .... that's not fair to the local store.

#3 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

I mean the 10.1" screen.  I searched but didn't find anything referring to the newer version of Rootsmagic.  I will check again.  Thanks!

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

That screen size is at the bottom of the range that I think is usable. 8" is unusable unless you have telescopic vision. While 2GB is usable with smaller RM databases and few apps open at the same time, better to go for the 4GB.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

RM7 features are listed here: http://www.rootsmagi...c/Features.aspx

Other than this info, "Platform: Windows Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000 Mac OS X Mac OS X with MacBridge" I don't see any specific recommendations for RAM or hard drive capacities to be used with RM7. If you have a large database (maybe over 20K or 30K individuals) and plan to view wall charts or to create Publisher books with several hundred pages, then you may need something more powerful than the T100.

Just for info: I recently created some Publisher books for family members. Each book included small photos (those tagged as primary photo for a person) in the ancestor and descendant narrative chapters. Book #1 covered 6 generations and had very scanty documentation. It ran to 229 pages, including 26 pages of Endnotes, and Name & Place indexes. Book #2 covered 5 generations and had much more complete documentation. It ran to 438 pages, including 83 pages of Endnotes, Bibliography, and Name & Place indexes. Book #3 covered several related family lines coalescing around someone who had married twice and had children with each marriage. Including as many ancestors as I could find, as well as many extended cousins of the primary subject's children, was a MUCH bigger project. That book ran to 1,282 pages, including 274 pages of E, B, N, P data.

These are the type of task that I think will run more slowly in less RAM.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

There's a very experienced forum user here named Laura who not only uses a 10.1" screen on her Acer ICONIA W500P, but is also very astute about RoosMagic and visits almost daily to help users ...so just stand by (o;

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

You rang!  <smile>

My Acer Windows 7 pro tablet has 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of drive storage.  It is my main computer. When I have to replace it, I will replace it with another tablet.

If I had a choice, I would take the 4 GB RAM.  More RAM is always better even if it costs more.

As with buying any computer, buy the best tablet you can afford with the highest drive storage, highest RAM, fastest processor,, etc..  Check out reviews for different tablets on the Internet

A 10.1 inch screen would be the smallest I would go.

A SD card or Mini SD card and at least 1 USB port is a must.  More than one USB port is better.  And, the larger the SD card permitted the better.

I have a 128 GB high speed SD card which lives in my Acer.  A tablet with only a 32 GB drive storage that will only allow a maximum of 32 GB SD card would not be my choice.

I also recommend you get a good case to protect the tablet even though that will add a little bulk and some weight.

My Acer is a dinosaur compared to the newer tablets as I bought it just when the first  Windows 8.0 tablets were just beginning to hit the market.

RootsMagic runs fine on my tablet.  I use it every day.  And for most RM functions, the tablet is fast enough.

I don't run any reports for everyone. I haven't tried a large Publisher book on the tablet.   Anything that is going to take time to process will, of course, take longer than on a more powerful computer.

I have my main database saved to the tablet and my media files, backups and gedcom and other data files are saved on the SD card.  Everything is also backed up to other mobile storage media in case the SD card fails.

I also have some portable apps from Portable Apps saved to the SD card and run them from the card.

I usually just use touch, but I do have a third party USB touch pad.  I also have a detachable keyboard that I seldom use.  I have a USB 4x6 keyboard I bought a long time ago that I use if I want a keyboard, and it is lighter to carry around.