• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bridgebum

bridgebum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Could RM-7 be used to somehow compare two gedcom files?  Perhaps each gedcom could be imported into new RM-7 databases, then the two databases be compared?  Thanks!

Bridgebum

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Use RootsMagic File > Compare files to compare two RM7 databases but be aware of its limitations. You might be disappointed.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 bridgebum

bridgebum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for your quick response!  I am thinking about upgrading to RM7, if it will do what I need done.  I have had a problem somewhere along the line with records getting cross linked.  My backups going back to June 2014 all have the same problem.  The next oldest gedcom backup is Jan 2014, and it does not have the problem.  So I have about a year's worth or additions to my database that I will lose if I revert back to the Jan 2014 database.  I thought perhaps I could somehow compare Jan 2014 gedcom with a current gedcom, simply to try to identify what data would be needed to be added to the older one to make it current.  I'm not familiar with the limitations of Compare Files.  Do you think I would have any problems accomplishing my objective?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

If the two versions of the database came from the same RootsMagic database then those people from the original that remain in the two to be compared will be automatically paired for comparison. The process is rather hit-or-miss for the others.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 bridgebum

bridgebum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, Tom!  I may give it a try and see what happens.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'm not familiar with the limitations of Compare Files.  Do you think I would have any problems accomplishing my objective?

I have read mixed reviews of the new compare files feature and the consensus would seem to be that it does not compare in enough detail. I have not upgraded to RM7, this was the only new feature which interested me and it would seem there is room for improvement like many other features.

Cross linking can be a problem but if the new information entered within the last year does not pertain to those families there may be another way. You could export a gedcom selecting those individuals with a "date last edited" after 1 jan 2014 from your current database. Then restore your your gedcom from Jan 2014 to a new database and import the previously exported gedcom file into that file.

Under Tools > Merge run the Automatic Merges followed by the Duplicate Search Merge and resolve the duplication there.

Protect your database as is by backing it up before any of this. I would advise creating a new database to import your Jan 2014 gedcom followed by your post 1 Jan 2014 changes then if it all goes pear shaped you have not lost anything.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 bridgebum

bridgebum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Thanks very much for your observations, and your suggestion!  I'll give it a try.

#8 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Is there a third party utility that anyone could recommend that would compare GEDCOM's??

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Is there a third party utility that anyone could recommend that would compare GEDCOM's??

Depends on your needs, I manipulate gedcom files sometimes to get certain results I can't get otherwise and use a free program called Winmerge to check the results. It is simply a file compare utility where you can step through the file differences and check them.

Ideally the RM7 File Compare should be the genealogy answer to this problem but from posts on these forums I understand it falls short of users expectations as regards concise comparison which is a pity. I say that as many features which have become part of RM and had shortcomings highlighted here have never been made complete with the drive being more towards introducing new features rather than polishing existing ones. IMO

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

I sometimes use NotePad++ or PSPad to compare files or the in-memory version with the disk version. They have difference displays similar to WinMerge but are also text editors with powerful Search and Replace functions which I will use to modify a GEDCOM.

Now these are only compare textual differences on a line by line basis and will break down if the files are very much different. If what you are after is something that interprets the GEDCOM to pair up matching individuals then that is a very different matter and may be best handled by importing the GEDCOM into a program that compares family tree databases.

#11 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:23 AM

There are several gedcom compare utilities:

GedMatch - requires a free account & login.  Look for Genealogy - 2 GEDCOMS in the lower right corner

http://v2.gedmatch.com/login1.php

GedSmart - shareware (I think the first 10 days are free)

http://gedsmart.software.informer.com/

Gedcom View and Compare - freeware

https://sites.google...comviewcompare/

#12 hlh

hlh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:42 AM

I'm new to this site & not sure if I'm posting in the right place.

Thought I would try the free download before committing to buy, but would it allow me to merge both sides of my in-laws family together.

Thanks

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

RootsMagic can readily combine two databases comprising different people. Persons common to both databases can be merged in the one database but expect to have further work to resolve things like duplication of the resulting single persons' events, sources,...