#1 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

This is a most basic question.

How do I back up RootsMagic 7 data to my external hard drive.

I have been through al the steps shown in Rootsmagic 7 to go but it is not appearing n my external hard drive.

Would someone please walk me through the steps .

I need to get my data off my computer and onto a external hard drive to remove from house  due to possible bush fires each summer. I need this on my external hard drive.

It must be easy but so far not for me.

it is the only part of RootsMagic wich frustrates me.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

There is a video on YouTube, RootsMagicTV that shows how to work with RootsMagic To Go.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=qP0GWkYHXxg

RootsMagic To Go saves a copy of the database to the external device.  It doesn't save a backup of the database.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

There must be more on your computer than your RootsMagic database that is important to have backed up off-site and RootsMagic To-Go is not even a backup solution for your RootsMagic trees because it does nothing with the attached media items. Better that you should invest your effort in disaster recovery preparation on solutions appropriate to the need. There are many... Some dependent on the Internet but maybe you don't have broadband data networking. Others carry a large capacity memory stick as a necklace, plug it into computer for backing up after each working session, and have it with them at all times, wherever they may be.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

I also save databases and my media files to more than one jump drive and SD cards and portable hard drive and online in Dropbox.

In fact, I do not even have my media files on my Acer tablet that I use for a computer. The media files are accessed from the SD card that lives in the tablet.

I do use RootsMagic To Go to copy the database to the external storage devices as it tells me which copy is the currrant one.

#5 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

I backup all my files to a external portable USB Hard Drive. I copy my Data Folder to the USB drive with one click using a program called Total Commander. There are other programs that will do the same thing.

Kid

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

I have several backup plans. I save all my backups directly to Dropbox. (My default backup folder is set directly to my Dropbox folder) I then backup my computer to an external hard drive using SyncBack (free). Then I have my computer backed up to the cloud using BackBlaze. Only costs $5.00 a month and includes every hard drive and external hard drive attached to my computer in the backup.

As scary as a house fire maybe, they can happen quickly even when you are away from home, giving you no chance to actually grab the external hard drive. That is why cloud storage is so wonderful. Dropbox gives you 2GB free. Big enough to save a backup with media. Google Drives gives you even more storage space free.

Go to File>Backup and check to "Backup media files" 

Click the Browse button to find your external hard drive to save your backup to.

The other options To Dropbox or To Google Drive will give you cloud storage for added protection.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thank you very much for all replies and excellent ideas.

I appreciate your help  and will  start checking out the suggestions.

#8 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

I back up my desktop computer to an external hard drive using a utility that came with my computer. The specifics of how to do that depend on the software you are using.  Lots of external hard drives come with backup software.

As others have pointed out, anything really important should also be backed up offsite.   I also pay for a cloud backup service (Mozy) which backs up all the computers in our house.  I think Mozy has a free option limited to 5GB.  Mozy is a little more complicated to configure than Dropbox, but once it's done it works in the background.  This is important to me because we live out in the country and can't get cable, just DSL.

Even before all these offsite options existed, I kept backup copies of important files (including my genealogy DB) in my office on CDs.  Heck, at one point I kept the negatives of my daughter's baby pictures in our safe deposit box.  But I freely admit to being a trifle paranoid.

#9 moresawdust

moresawdust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

I'm a database administrator.  The best DBAs will tell you that when it comes to data, people only care about what they back up.

When that isn't true, (generally speaking) people who fail to back up important data fail to do that only once.  In my profession, it's rare that you get a second chance, of any kind.

Like others have said: no backup/disaster recovery plan is truly useful until you test it, and continue to test it over time.  You don't want to be figuring things out for the first time after you've experienced a loss of data.

For those that have "big data", I suggest you either buy or build a machine that does RAID.  I use RAID 1 (mirroring), and have for the past 10 years.  I've lost 3 drives in that time period, and never lost a single byte of data - nor did I ever have any downtime.  I just replace the drive, and ba-da-bing I'm back in business...

My strategy includes backups to external USB-attached drives, which go wherever (somewhere on the other side of the house, or out-of-house, depending).  I'm a bit too paranoid about turning over my data to a cloud-based company yet.

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

Regarding cloud storage: his option is great for those who have 100% access to fast internet (broadband, etc.)  But for those of us who connect intermittently via wifi, transferring large amounts of data to the cloud is cumbersome and expensive (wifi access is not typically free, unless you're in a public setting without adequate security protocols in place).

So I use a couple of external hard drives, frequently backing up to #1 and #2 in the same session. Then offsite to a storage locker...

#11 Holm D T

Holm D T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

I love my drop box for backup and when I take my laptop on the go.simple to set up and use at home and on the road.  Also do not for get any keys. and main software needs to be safe.