1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

I was reading the Rootsmagic 2014 Year in Review and the tips on "Planning Cemetery Trips with RootsMagic", I have to say I don't find this a really useful process within RM at best I find it falls far short of how useful it could be.

It's no secret I am hoping Place Management gets a complete make over with a new all in one UI but using the existing RM functionality let me demonstrate how one simple enhancement could make any field trip planning a much enhanced and quality feature.

Simple provide a checkbox to show Place Details when a Place is highlighted in Rootsmagic Mapping. Switching to aerial view and zooming on your area of interest should produce a quality location map (providing they are geocoded) and even if those graves are not yet geocoded you at least have a printout to mark the grave locations as you find them for geocoding later, see below.

http://www.vyger.co.uk/cemeterymap.png

This would be similar to the very useful Include Family Members checkbox on the Rootsmagic Mapping People selection screen especially with Place Details effectively being the children of the Place.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Place Details, find a grave, mapping, geocoding