4 replies to this topic

#1 steve@pelts.net

steve@pelts.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Hello,

I have a person that the Surname was one thing then changed at some point to a different Surname.

what is best way to deal with this?  

entering birth and death with last surname, or what?

thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

I usually add the name I prefer they will be known by as the primary name. I always use a women's maiden name of preference. Then add an alternate name and date it to sort right near the fact it should appear by. For example if they were adopted and I want them always to be known by the adopted name (I will make that the primary name).  I will add an alternate name and date it near the birth. Then state their birth name was....

Corrected for clarification.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 steve@pelts.net

steve@pelts.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

Thanks,  I was overlooking the Alt Name fact for some reason

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

But, Renee, if you want the adopted name to be used throughout a report, it has to be the primary name and the birth name is the alternate. At least until RootsMagic supports the use of alternate names in the sentence template language...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Not sure why you're calling out to Renee, Tom? Nothing she said contradicts what you state. She didn't mention that adoption tidbit, so it's helpful additional info *Thanks* ...but since Steve wasn't asking about adoptions, she can hardly be blamed for omission ,'o)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N