Photo

How do I actually export my own direct ancestors and their descendants?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

I exported a GEDCOM from my RootsMagic database by selecting all ANCESTORS of myself with all of their DESCENDANTS.

I expected this to export a file containing MY DIRECT ANCESTORS with ALL OF THE DESCENDANTS OF THOSE ANCESTORS and NOONE ELSE.

First of all, my sister's husband's mother and I are the only two living people who know that she knows the identity of her mother, and her children aren't allowed to know that.   All of her mother's ancestors are in my database.   

Second, the entire point of putting my tree on Ancestry, whose trees I can't even stand and would never use for another reason, is so that my autosomal DNA matches can identify MY ancestors, NOT someone else's.  The reason to have the collateral lines is that most of these people haven't traced their ancestors back farther than three to five generations, and most who have have large numbers of the last several generations to the actual common ancestor who was born before 1600 missing.   

I then uploaded my GEDCOM to Ancestry. In addition to my ancestors and their descendants, it strangely displays SOME lines of ancestry of my sister's husband's father, but of his mother, nor of his father's mother, though both lines are in my database.

??????

I tried selecting all collateral lines, and it checked everyone in my database, including ALL of my sister's husband's ancestors, including his mother's ancestors of the mother her children aren't allowed to know she knows who she was.    What is more, the entire purpose is for people working on autosomal DNA matches to look in my database for MY ancestry, NOT MY BROTHER IN LAW'S.   People need to see my own collateral lines, because so many of them haven't traced their ancestry very far so they won't otherwise spot shared ancestry.  MY collateral lines.  NOT my brother in law.   

Now. How do I actually just export MY OWN ANCESTORS and ALL DESCENDANTS OF MY OWN ANCESTORS.

Tell me how the ancestors of my inlaws are EITHER my direct ancestors, or their descendants.    

Thank you!

Yours, 
Dora Smith

#2 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

Solved it.  My brother in law's male line display in my tree because they share descent from several of my ancestors.    But my brother's mother's ancestors, his father's mother's ancestors, and his father's father's wife's ancestors do not appear.   Neither do my cousin's wife's ancestors.

And the living people display as "Living" as distinct from PRIVATE (which is how everyone else' living people appear in Ancestry.