Photo

How do I get Living people to display as private in Ancestry?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

Ancestry displays people who are identified as living as "Private".   It works quite well, it works selectively on people who are actually living, and it works for everyone except me.    

After observing that my living relatives are displaying by name and birth date at Ancestry, I marked the entire database living as false, then individually marked the living people as living.   That is exactly what the question database says to do.   

Then I uploaded my tree to Ancestry.   On my view, everyone still dispalyed, but two of the living people were marked living.  I had someone else check my tree, and she saw all my relatives identified as living except the two I saw marked living.

I deleted the tree, went into the database, got into each living person, unchecked and rechecked living and clicked save, exported my people an duploaded it to ancestry - and nothing whatever changed.

How do I identify the living people as living?

I hardly want every ancestor without a death date or with no death or birth dates identified as living.   

#2 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

It's remarkable.  On the Rootsmagic list this problem has been addressed five times, and always someone curtly answered "export a privatized GEDCOM" or something of the sort.  Lots of references to exporting privatized people.   NEVER any specific description of what they mean or how to do it.

AND the word "privatize" doesn't appear in help anywhere.   Nor in that special question database on the Rootsweb web site.

OK, you have to jump through an extra hoop that makes no sense whatever.

First, you mark the people you want to be privatized as living.

Then, when you export the gedcom, you have to check a little box on the right to privatize living people.

Stupid!    

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

It's remarkable.  On the Rootsmagic list this problem has been addressed five times, and always someone curtly answered "export a privatized GEDCOM" or something of the sort.  Lots of references to exporting privatized people.   NEVER any specific description of what they mean or how to do it.

AND the word "privatize" doesn't appear in help anywhere.   Nor in that special question database on the Rootsweb web site.

OK, you have to jump through an extra hoop that makes no sense whatever.

First, you mark the people you want to be privatized as living.

Then, when you export the gedcom, you have to check a little box on the right to privatize living people.

Stupid!    

If you use Help's Search feature, the term "privatize" returns many topics, typically with the word "private" highlighted. It would seem to be smart enough to use a partial match or a thesaurus of some sort. In the topic "Creating a GEDCOM file", there is a heading "Privatize living people". I suppose that in the discussion topics you found where there was no further explanation as to how to "export a privatized GEDCOM" the OP had no difficulty finding the needed info in Help.

You cannot logically blame the RootsMagic software if some of the people for whom the Living flag is set appear publicly on your Ancestry tree. Possibly the error is Ancestry's. To prove it is one or the other, you would have to examine the GEDCOM exported by RootsMagic and imported by Ancestry to see if it contained the appropriate tags. If missing, fault RootsMagic; if not, fault Ancestry.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.