3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:33 AM

I have migrated a TMG 8.04 project to RM7, and that has added a number of new witness roles to the RM standard Facts.

When I try to delete some of the roles brought over from TMG I get a message "You can't delete a role which is currently being used".

Fair enough, but for the life of me I can't remember where the offending role was used, nor can I get RM to list instances of this role. I'm trying to expunge some of the unnecessary TMG constructs and use a vanilla RM as far as possible.

Any suggestions?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

Right now there isn't anyway to search inside of RootsMagic for a person with shared facts. 

About the only way I would be able to find someone with a role is to create a group that included everyone in the database. Then use that group for generating the Individual Summary Report. If you save it as a RTF file and open it in Microsoft Word you could search on that role and find them. In this case you could probably open it in any word processor since the formatting won't be a concern.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

The SQLite script RMGC_Properties - Query reports the number of unused roles. That query is integrated in RMtrix. I created another script that lists the unused roles but have not posted it yet. If you are game to delve into using a SQLite manager (not hard), you can get your list. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

I used Renee's approach and it did what I wanted - surprisingly effectively.  The trick was to embed ZZZ in the roles of interest and search for that in the PDF file.

I'm not confident enough to play with SQLite yet, but I can see that will be needed soon for similar complicated searching.

Thanks for your support