6 replies to this topic

#1 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I've got my datafile imported.  (A trouble free import from Legacy.)

I move my Media folder from Documents\Legacy to Documents\Rootsmagic.

All of my media appears with red X's.

File: [Default Media Folder]\Censii\1850 IL Clark Cumberland - Mitchell, John.jpg

(Is one example.)

The Media folder contains 2,800+ images.

If I simply use Tools, Fix Broken Media Links, select the entire Drive, it will actually find 7 media files in the Documents\RootsMagic\Media\Arms subdirectory, but otherwise freezes at that point.

If I select <A Folder> and tell it my Media folder (Documents\RootsMagic\Media) it finds 0 missing files.

(Searching the entire drive means it's got to go through 81,244 files before it reaches the first RootsMagic directory.)

Under Tools, Program Options, Folders, I have told it my Multimedia files are at Documents\RootsMagic\Media.

It won't look where I've told it to look.  It doesn't recognize the [Default Media Folder] as the one I've told it to use.  And it crashes after locating 7 of the 2,800+ files I know are there.

What am I doing wrong?

Using RM7.

Thanks in advance.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

Hmmm.

File > Database Tools > Integrity Check. If not OK, Rebuild Indexes, repeat. (Rebuild anyway).

Tools > Program Options > General > Uncheck "Build thumbnails when opening Media Gallery"

> Folders > set paths absolutely (C:\Users\Documents...) by browsing to and selecting folder

Do a test of your hard drive's integrity.

Start Windows Task Manager and monitor performance as Fix broken media links proceeds.

Are you on a Mac?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Integrity check results: ok

Folder browsed and selected is D:\Documents\RootsMagic\Media

D: drive scanned for errors, none found.

RootsMagic rests at 0% CPU and "spiked" at 1.2% looking for files for the second to determine there were 0 files to be found.

RootsMagic software is installed on my C: drive, an SSD, and the data, and media, are on the D: drive, an HDD.

PC running Windows 8.1.

:/

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

Did you turn off the Build thumbnails option?

Also turn off WebHints and FamilySearch.

With a test file in your default media directory, can you add it to the Media Gallery?

You presumably moved your media files since the import from Legacy. If the structure is the same below a different root, use Search > Search and Replace > multimedia filenames to change that part. Its a workaround but ...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

I did turn off Build Thumbnails earlier as suggested.

Under File Options, FamilySearch is not enabled.  I've now disabled WebHints and FamilySearch WebHints.

Trying the Locate Missing Media Files again.  If I choose <A Folder> it would automatically bring me to the Media folder.  As a test I went up a directory level and told it to search the entire RootsMagic folder.  The search instantly stops at the first subfolder inside the Media folder... Searching D:\Documents\RootsMagic\Media\Arms.

Where it says Found 0 missing files I get a Cancel button, but it doesn't work.  It highlights with mouseover, but clicking it doesn't close the window.  I have to use the X to close button in the upper right.

How about that....  "[Default Media Folder]" looks so helpful, as if the program knows "Ah, ha!  I'll go look in the default media folder for this file."  Except it doesn't.  "[Default Media Folder]" is literally "[Default Media Folder]" and not a file location at all.

So, using Search & Replace I replaced "[Default Media Folder]" with "d:\documents\rootsmagic\media" and the problem was solved.

Thanks for solving this!

Robert

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

You mean the path you described as:

File: "[Default Media Folder]\Censii\1850 IL Clark Cumberland - Mitchell, John.jpg"

was literal? I thought you just substituted for the sake of the message that part of the path.

Is that what Legacy exported to GEDCOM or what the result was from a direct import from Legacy?

If the latter, then that is a bug for RootsMagic to fix.

But there still seems to be an issue in that the Fix Broken Media Links tool should be able to work from just the filename to search out, in the scope you have selected, the file and replace the faulty path with the correct path.  

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

First of all, let me say that you can probably solve your immediate problem in a flash using:

Search->Search and Replace->Field to search->Multimedia filenames->Search for->D:\Documents\Legacy->Replace with->D:\Documents\Rootsmagic

(ie. search the list of media file paths in the database for any having [OLD Default Media Folder] in the path name and replace all occurences with [NEW Default Media Folder] path name.)

*snip*
I move my Media folder from Documents\Legacy to Documents\Rootsmagic.
*snip*
The Media folder contains 2,800+ images.

I'm thinking you most likely mean you moved Documents\Legacy\Media folder and ALL subfolders to Documents\Rootsmagic\Media ?
And I'm assuming you mean the Media folder and ALL its subfolders contain 2,800+ images, since you mention a \Censii and \Arms subfolders ?

If I simply use Tools, Fix Broken Media Links, select the entire Drive, it will actually find 7 media files in the Documents\RootsMagic\Media\Arms subdirectory, but otherwise freezes at that point.

Subsequent step here would be to manually edit and correct those 7 file paths in the Media Gallery and then rerun the Fix Broken Media Links to see if/where it freezes again/next.

If I select <A Folder> and tell it my Media folder (Documents\RootsMagic\Media) it finds 0 missing files.

Here's where you lost me. I believe if you select <A folder> Rootsmagic should automatically (from the Program Options->Folders setting) "already know the new default" and offers to open D:\Documents\RootsMagic\Media folder as the starting place for a search (one can instead choose to select an explicit parent or sub folder from any available drive -or- an explicit drive letter to search from a drive root folder down into the subfolders).

(Searching the entire drive means it's got to go through 81,244 files before it reaches the first RootsMagic directory.)

Yeah, that's the longest way, but you most likely wouldn't still be here in the forum hours/days later scratching your head ;O)

Under Tools, Program Options, Folders, I have told it my Multimedia files are at Documents\RootsMagic\Media.

It won't look where I've told it to look.

This sounds like an innocently mistaken view. Why do I say this? Because I have used the dialog to choose various different starting points for a search with no failure.

It doesn't recognize the [Default Media Folder] as the one I've told it to use.

My response immediately above ...applies here too. If it didn't work there would be 100's of complaints.

And it crashes after locating 7 of the 2,800+ files I know are there.
What am I doing wrong.

This is the problem area. Could be corruption in the database. Run File->Database Tools (all 4 top to bottom). As an isolation test, create a fresh new empty database and dragN'drop EVERYBODY to this new database. Then try your Locate Missing Media Files again from this newly created copy. If it's still failing, perhaps you should file a trouble ticket and offer your database for technical support scrutiny. Hang in there!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N