12 replies to this topic

#1 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

I am using RM 7.0.2.2. I recently created a "third" RM database. My "first" and "second" RM databases are located on the same PC as my RM7 client software. I will use the term "remote" to designate the new RM database because it is located on a different PC connected to my LAN. I use a single RM client to access all three databases, 2 local and 1 remote.

When I open the media album for a person (Person media) in the remote database and use "Add new media", the new media files get saved properly in the Gallery located on the remote PC. However, if I try and use the "Add from gallery" button, RM brings up the media gallery for the "first" database located on the same machine as the client software. I have verified that I only have the remote database open in RM when this happens. Neither local database is open even though it is the "Media gallery" from the "first" local database that gets displayed.

If I click the media gallery icon on the main window bar to open the "Media gallery", it also opens the "Media gallery" for the wrong database. That is, when only the remote database is open, if I use the menu icon to open the "Media gallery", it opens the gallery for the "first" database instead of for the remote database. Both of the local databases work fine. It is only the remote one that works incorrectly.

I also tried opening the "second" database and closing it before opening the remote database. I wanted to see if this would cause the most recently opened local database to get opened when I tried to access the "Media gallery" from the remote database. It did not do that. Regardless of what was the most recently opened local database, once I opened the remote database, the "Media gallery" button always tries to use the "Media gallery" associated with the "first" database.

At the moment this means that I have no way to access the media gallery for the remote database.

This seems very weird and is probably confusing. Hope I described it clearly enough.

Any suggestions? Anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks Martin

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5997 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

What you describe sounds inconceivable, or, if not, then improbable. Set Program Options so that no database is auto opened when starting RootsMagic. Close and reopen RM and then open the remote db and check the gallery. Add a distinctly unique image file to the gallery and tag it to a person. Then seek out that person in both the remote and local databases and confirm where it was tagged.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Also -

Double-check on the REMOTE computer, to see if the Tools - Program Options - Folders - Multimedia files is pointing at the desired location. Is this pointing at the location for db #1?

#4 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

Thank you for your interest in this issue.  I agree that it "sounds inconceivable".

I followed your instructions precisely.

I set the program options so that no database would auto open.  I then shutdown and launched again.  No database opened.  I then loaded the remote database.

I opened the "Media gallery" and it appeared to be the "Media gallery" from the "first" database on the local computer. I added an image file named test8.jpeg to the "Media gallery" and set the "Media gallery" description to "test8". 

I closed the remote database and loaded the "first" (local database).  There was no "test8" in the "Media gallery" associated with that local database.  I then closed that local database.

I opened the remote database and launched the "Media gallery".  It still appeared that the "Media gallery" from the "first" database is what opened. That "Media gallery" is rather large with about 1,000 images.  When I searched for "test8", I found that it was in the gallery. 

I then checked for other images that I had added into the "Media gallery" of the new remote database.  It seems that all of the images I had added to the "Media gallery" in the remote database were there but they were mixed in with the 1,000 or so images from the "first" (local) database. 

I also discovered that when using the remote database, I can tag an image that is already in the gallery to a person or fact by using "Add new media" rather than "Add from gallery".  This is despite the fact that it is already in the gallery.

I know this still "sounds inconceivable" but all I can do is report what happens.

What do you think?  Anything else to try?

Thanks again for the help.

#5 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

zahngrau,

I can't do as you suggest because there is no RM client software on the remote computer.

Because I have my different databases in different locations, I have not chosen to set any default values for the folder locations.  Those fields are all blank.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

RM is not designed to be a client on a network. You are permitted to install the RM software on multiple machines (desktop & laptop, for example) where you will not be using the two copies of RM simultaneously. I think that's fairly standard with most (but not all) software.

So if you know network configurations well enough to get RM to run on a remote machine through the network, then that explains why your remote db is viewing the local gallery. Your remote computer is using the local software.

Right?

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5997 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Mardon, copy the remote database to your local computer, rename it, and open it. I'm sure you are going to see all 1000+ images that you see in the "first" database. To clarify the terminology, when you do so, you are NOT seeing the Media Gallery of the "first" database; rather, somehow, those media items were added to the Media Gallery of the "remote" database. The question is "how"? Some possibilities:

1. Did the "remote" database start as a copy of the "first"?
  2. Did you accidentally overwrite the "remote" with the "first"?
  3. Did you use the new feature Copy Master Lists in starting the "remote" database?
  4. Have you been using SQLite to modify the "remote"?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

TomH,

You are correct that the two databases are independent.  I deleted some of the items in the remote "Media gallery" but that did not cause them to be deleted from the "Media gallery" in the "first" database.  Somehow all the files from the "first" Media gallery got copied into the remote Media gallery.  I don't know how. I guess I must have done something that caused it.

The remote database started from a GEDCOM import.  It was not associate in any way with the "first" database.

I don't think I could have "overwritten" the remote with the "first" since the items I've added to the remote db are all there and did not get "overwritten".

Now that I think about it, I don't think this problem was there since the creation of the database.  It may have started after I used the new feature, "Import Lists".  But I am not certain of this.  Do you think this could have brought over the Media gallery entries too?

I don't have the skills to use SQLite and have not used it.

Thanks again for you help. I guess I'll have to manually delete all the unwanted file entries from the remote Media gallery.  That will fix it but it will be a bit of work.

#9 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

zhangrau,

I think TomH has identified the problem (see my post above). My guess is that the RM files can be physically located anyway, either on another computer or on a NAS drive.  Most all software works like this.  MS Word for example, doesn't care where the document files are physically located.  I think RM will work fine now that TomH has identified the problem. There are no licensing issues since I am only running one client.  Thanks for your feedback.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Now that I think about it, I don't think this problem was there since the creation of the database.  It may have started after I used the new feature, "Import Lists".  But I am not certain of this.  Do you think this could have brought over the Media gallery entries too?

It brought over the Media gallery entries, too, unless you unchecked the option to do so.

The new "Import lists..." feature is a wonderful feature, but I think it can be a little dangerous. I think that RM users would be better served if the default was to have none of the lists checked by default rather than having all of them checked by default.

I realize that my suggestion sounds user unfriendly for those cases where a user really does want all the options checked. But I think safe and prudent usage normally should  be much more targeted - say, bringing in only User Defined Fact definitions or bringing in only User Defined Source Templates - that sort of thing.

Also, I have not played with the feature enough yet to see how much of a problem there might be in creating unnecessary duplicates in any of the lists that are imported.

Jerry

#11 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

Hi c24m48,

Thanks for the explanation. Your comments confirm that my use of the "Import lists" tool was indeed the cause of my problem.  After this experience, I agree with you 100% that the default should be to import no lists and require that the user select the ones they want.  Before this discussion, I didn't realize that the media entries would be considered as a "list" for the "Import lists" action.

At least I found a good way to delete the entries I don't want in the remote database.  I temporarily changed the OS folder name of the folder containing the Media gallery entries I didn't want.  This causes them to be displayed with an "x" in the Media gallery.  I then manually deleted the entries with an "x".  That left only the "good" entries for the remote database.  I then restored the original OS folder name and the media galleries for both databases are working fine.

It would have been a lot easier if I could have selected multiple items in the gallery and deleted them all at once but I could not find a way to select multiple items.  The normal OS methods for multiple selection didn't work.  That would be a good feature addition to RM.

Thanks for everyone's help!  :)

#12 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, for collaboration !!

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic