Photo

Any Way to Transfer Custom Source Templates?

Source Templates Templates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

I'm helping a relative create a new RootsMagic 7 database.  Is there any way to transfer all of the custom Source Templates that I've created from my file to their new one?  It will take a lot of work to recreate them all individually.

Any and all help appreciated. :)

Mardon

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Did you see this topic?

http://forums.rootsm...n-new-database/

#3 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

No I did not.  I searched but never came across that thread.  It's apparently new in RM7.  Works great.  Many thanks! :)

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

No I did not.  I searched but never came across that thread.  It's apparently new in RM7.  Works great.  Many thanks! :)

This specific feature is new in RM7. But even before RM7 it was possible to export and import source templates. The way the old way works is that the export process turns the template into a file that is outside of RM. Then you can send the file to the other RM user, or put the file on a Web site from where the file can be downloaded, etc.. Having received the file, the other RM users does an import which takes the information from the file that is outside of RM and makes it into a template inside of RM. Or you can just do the same thing between two databases, both of which are on your own machine.

I used the singular "template" and "file" thought the discussion, but you can export several different templates as files, transmit the entire collection of files to the other RM users, and then the other RM user can import the the entire collection of files as templates.

With the old way, you have to export and then import templates one at a time, and the only thing that has to be transmitted between RM users is the file (or files) containing the templates. With the new way, you can get all the templates with one fell swoop, but you get them all (no choices possible) and both RM databases have to be on the same computer. If you end up importing more than you want with the new way, you can just delete the ones you don't need.

Jerry

#5 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

I just realized that the new "Import Lists" feature does not import the custom Roles for the Fact Type List.  :(

I guess I will have to reconstruct6 all of those manually?

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

Yes, plus any program defined fact sentences you have changed or any other changes you have made to program defined facts that you wish to have in the new database.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Little more than a month before the release of RootsMagic 7, I published this SQLite script: Database - Copy Master Lists to Shell and then, lo and behold, it appeared in the program. Unlike the program's version, my script does preserve custom roles and sentences. See http://sqlitetoolsfo... Lists to Shell

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.