29 replies to this topic

#21 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

1. Go to Tools>File Options>General and select the "Root Person", then under "Start person when opening this database" use "Root person above".

2. Start a new blank database and only enter one person, the home/root person you want, just the name would work. Then drag n drop on top of that root person the copy from the other database. Select the options you want for who to include, but make sure you check the option "Are xxxx and xxxx the same person". This will merge the records when you do the drop.

I tried it that way, and lost data.  Not going there again.  The Drag and Drop does its work by creating a temporary GEDCOM file, and that's where I lost data.

You didn't mention what data you were missing?  Go to Lists>Fact Type List and make sure each fact type in checked to include when "Exporting GEDCOM files". If the option to include is uncheck then that fact will be excluded.

On my own entry (I am the root person), I lost two DNA facts.  On others, I lost Miscellaneous facts.  On at least one person, I lost one of their two marriages; the spouse had still copied over, but they had no marriage fact.

I ended up restoring from a backup made just before I made the transfer, but it took me almost a month before I even noticed, and I had to keep the two databases and spend more than a week doing comparisons to recapture data I'd entered into the defective copy.  I'm still not sure I got it complete.

I don't know ALL the data that failed to come over in the copy, but when I compared the two databases, the new one was more than 10% smaller than the old, and this was after I'd entered new data into it.

For now, I'm just stuck with my great-grandfather's older brother always showing up as the root person in my GEDCOM files.

#22 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

The DNA facts are lost in GEDCOM. That is because GEDCOM has no way to support them. There should be no reason you lost a Miscellaneous fact if its marked to be included in a GEDCOM. If it was marked private you do need to include private facts in the GEDCOM. Marriages will come over if both people in the couple are exported/imported at the same time.

Drag n Drop is a GEDCOM in the background. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#23 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

If just one piece of information is lost doing a "Drag n Drop" is it advisable to continue recommending "Drag n Drop" for anything? Who knows what lurks in the dark, mysterious corners of a users database? Is all the data in a users database GEDCOM compatible? Who knows? How would a user go about determining if the data was 100% transferred? How would a user find out exactly what data was missing if it was not 100% transferred?

TomD

It's been real... It's been fun...

#24 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

If just one piece of information is lost doing a "Drag n Drop" is it advisable to continue recommending "Drag n Drop" for anything?
---->it's optional, not required. Export & import a GEDCOM manually if you wish, but this saves time, mouseclicks and/or keystrokes.
Who knows what lurks in the dark, mysterious corners of a users database?
---->Hopefully the owner knows his data.
Is all the data in a users database GEDCOM compatible?
---->Certainly not, virtually every genealogy software package offers the user features that GEDCOM cannot transport.
Who knows?
---->Ya gotta learn your software to maximize it's potential.
How would a user go about determining if the data was 100% transferred?
---->RootMagic 7 has a Compare Files feature for RM database differences
How would a user find out exactly what data was missing if it was not 100% transferred?
---->Using the manual GEDCOM import feature generates a .LST file for any data RM does not understand or cannot represent in the database.
TomD

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#25 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

While it is out-of-date, this SQLite script flags some things that did not transfer as of RM5: RMGC_Properties - Query

And Laura recently did a tabulation of things that she found did not transfer in Tips & Hints

Edited by TomH, 19 November 2015 - 10:49 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#26 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:36 AM

The DNA facts are lost in GEDCOM. That is because GEDCOM has no way to support them. There should be no reason you lost a Miscellaneous fact if its marked to be included in a GEDCOM. If it was marked private you do need to include private facts in the GEDCOM. Marriages will come over if both people in the couple are exported/imported at the same time.

Drag n Drop is a GEDCOM in the background. 

Which makes me wonder:  I have a lot of custom facts in my database; if the Drag and Drop is only moving facts that GEDCOM supports, then I'm in deep trouble.  I mentioned losing a few Miscellaneous facts, and now I'll have to check if these apply, but I have created extra Miscellaneous facts, such as Miscellaneous (Family).  Is it possible that what I'm losing are such custom-designed facts?

I've created over 40 extra facts for my RMG database; are they what are not being moved?

#27 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

Which makes me wonder:  I have a lot of custom facts in my database; if the Drag and Drop is only moving facts that GEDCOM supports, then I'm in deep trouble.  I mentioned losing a few Miscellaneous facts, and now I'll have to check if these apply, but I have created extra Miscellaneous facts, such as Miscellaneous (Family).  Is it possible that what I'm losing are such custom-designed facts?

NOPE, GEDCOM supports both the regular MISC fact tag AND RM's custom fact tags, too (destination software may vary, though). I don't believe RM loses anything other than what has been described above.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#28 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

There are two reasons any fact will not export.

Go to Lists, Fact type lists.

Highlight each fact in the left pane. Check the right pane to see if Gedcom is marked for that fact, If the answer is No, Edit the fact and check the Gedcom box.

That is where you control whether a fact will be exported in a gedcom or included in a Drag and Drop.

When you export a gedcom, you can make a choice of whether to export fact and fact notes you have made Private. Check the boxes to export Private facts and notes.

That is where you choose to export or not export facts or notes you have marked as Private on the Edit person screen for the facts you have chosen to be exported.

If you doing drag and drop, RM will not include any fact which has the Gedcom box unchecked on Lists, Fact type lists.

Drag and drop does include all Private facts and notes if the facts has Gedcom marked at Lists, Fact type list.

#29 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

All facts are checked for export GEDCOM, and were already when I noticed the problem.  This even includes facts that I will never use.

The only private facts I have in the entire database are on all Social Security Numbers.

There are two reasons any fact will not export.

Go to Lists, Fact type lists.

Highlight each fact in the left pane. Check the right pane to see if Gedcom is marked for that fact, If the answer is No, Edit the fact and check the Gedcom box.

That is where you control whether a fact will be exported in a gedcom or included in a Drag and Drop.

When you export a gedcom, you can make a choice of whether to export fact and fact notes you have made Private. Check the boxes to export Private facts and notes.

That is where you choose to export or not export facts or notes you have marked as Private on the Edit person screen for the facts you have chosen to be exported.

If you doing drag and drop, RM will not include any fact which has the Gedcom box unchecked on Lists, Fact type lists.

Drag and drop does include all Private facts and notes if the facts has Gedcom marked at Lists, Fact type list.

#30 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Patrick, you will have to provide real evidence of what is not transferring for you for anyone to have a clue as to what your problem may be. And then submit your database to Tech Support with instructions on how to experience the problem so that they can find the cause and do something about it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.