• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DavidBeckett

DavidBeckett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

I have gone through the Discussion pages, searching on Date Format, and haven't found the issue I'm trying to deal with...so I'm posting it here in the hopes that one of the wiser heads has seen the problem before and has dealt with it.

The problem is my desired date format is not supported. I use the (what I believed to be the world-standard) format YYYY.MM.DD for most of my records and it works very well with no language/translation issues and very few (if any) comprehension issues. The information is displayed in order of importance - most important factor (the Year) listed first, followed by the Month and then the actual Day. Using that format with Root Magic is a different story.

In most instances I can actually enter the date in my desired format and RM will accept it....except when it doesn't. July seems to be the sore spot for RM. Input of 1986.07.23 yields a RM display of 1986/Jul. And in a couple of cases, RM has taken my input and changed the century on me....a full YYYY/MM/DD formated date in the 1800's became a YY/MM date in the 2000's! The way that RM butchers corrects my dates doesn't seem to be related in any way to the limited format options listed in the Tools/File Options/Date Format.

So, my question(s) are:

- is there some way to set an option in RM so it will simply accept what is typed?

- failing that, is there some way that I can get the RM folks to consider a better standard for dates than the ones they currently offer?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

David

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

I opted for the date style selection of 26 Mar 2014.  It's readily understood, and is fully supported in RM.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

You seem to be referring to this:

https://en.wikipedia...#Calendar_dates

but periods as separators is NOT correct.
Dashes as separators in the extended format and no punctuation as separator in the basic format. RootsMagic only seems to support the "basic" format (no separators) ie. 19860723

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 DavidBeckett

DavidBeckett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

I can live with using dashes as the seperators instead of periods...but it seems RootsMagic can't manage that either:

- when I enter 19860723 I get a date of 23 Jul 1986 (which does conform to the default format style specified in my file options)..but isn't what I want.

- when I enter 1986-07-23 I get a date of 1986/7 (which does not conform to the default format style specified in my file options)..and isn't what I want.

Is there no way to get a format of YYYY.MM.DD or YYYY-MM-DD or even YYYYMMDD? No way to turn the auto-formating function off for that field so a user can get what they actually enter?

David

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Have you tried setting Windows to your preferred date format?

Go to Control Panel - Region and Language and set it up. Note that there is NO selection using periods between date segments.

Then, go back to RM and see if dates behave as you wish.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Is there no way to get a format of YYYY.MM.DD or YYYY-MM-DD or even YYYYMMDD?

Date formatting and date entry are two different things.

One of the MANY means of Date entry is as I described above -> Entering as YYYYMMDD

Date display formatting options are a whole 'nother ball of wax at Tools->File Options->Date Format

That is all the choice you have.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 DavidBeckett

DavidBeckett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Changing the "date display format" through Control Panel doesn't seem to override the formating imposed by RootsMagic so I appear to be stuck with the formats that RootsMagic does permit.

It is strange that virtually any of the other fillable fields will display the data in the format that you choose to use when entering it, but dates can only displayed in one of the formats that the authors of RM have specified. Combined with the fact that the program will actually corrupt the date in certain instances....well, it just seems like a bit of sloppy coding.

How does one request a "fix" or at least an ability to turn off set formatting?

David

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

How does one request a "fix" or at least an ability to turn off set formatting?

http://forums.rootsm...agic-wish-list/

RootsMagic Wish List

Have a suggestion for a future version of RootsMagic? Post it here for comments.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 DavidBeckett

DavidBeckett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

Thanks zhangrau & kbens0n. I have put a request in asking if the date formating/display disconnect can be resolved by either:

- extending the allowed/supported formats, or

- by changing the date fields to simply accept/store/display what has been typed in the manner it has been typed (open text field idea).

Any thoughts on how likely this request is to be considered and/or actioned?

David

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

History suggests that the probability is extremely low given that yours is an extraordinary issue/request that is of no consequence to the vast majority of users. Of course, anything is possible and bugs in date processing ought to be corrected.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

It's very difficult to see how RM could ever implement a "display what has been typed in" approach. As long as the date you type in is a valid date, it's going to be converted to an internal format and any information about the way you typed it in is going to be lost. So on that part of your request, I think your chances are zero. As far as adding additional format options to the output display, the chances are surely not zero, but the chances are also surely pretty low.

Jerry

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

- by changing the date fields to simply accept/store/display what has been typed in the manner it has been typed (open text field idea).

This does happen but date fields need to be interpreted as dates for various reasons, try entering "28 Janubody 2013", it will be highlighted in yellow as not being recognized as a date but will appear as typed and appear as such in reports.

Formatting options are another topic but since this is the first time I recall such a wish in a lot of years I would say the chances of implementation are low.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#13 DavidBeckett

DavidBeckett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

My reasoning for wanting the software to display what has been entered, as it has been entered, is make everything a little clearer and easier to use. My personal preferences aside, displaying exactly what has been entered does seem to be the standard throughout the software. Names & addresses are just two examples; the software doesn't "correct" my names and while it will suggest a change in the address, it does not impose that change.

And the other (significant) reason for wanting the software to accept what has been input is to avoid the impact of the sloppy programming behind the program trying to change a date to one of the "acceptable" formats. One of my favourite examples is entering 1795-07-11 and seeing the software return a value of 3 Jul 2011. Sorry but I can't think of many excuses for that type of an error.

But based on the comments from the more senior menmbers above, I won't hold my breath waiting for the changes.

Thanks again!

David

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

1. Make sure your Windows date is set to read YYYY-MM-DD

2. Go to Tools>Program Options>General under "How to interpret ambiguous dates" set it to "Use the windows settings"

Now you should be able to enter the date as you are accustom to. However, it will be changed to a standardized date format within RootsMagic. 

Under Tools>File Options>General>Date format you only have so many options. I am confirming there is an enhancement request to our tracking system to include the option for the YYYY-MM-DD date format.

Renee
RootsMagic