• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rmsimon

rmsimon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

I have imported my PAF data to RM7.  In PAF, I kept track of my sourcing in the NOTES feature for each person.  And all that information has transitioned over to RM7 in the General Note for each person.  So far, so good.  But, when I go to create a Narrative report, the General Note is conjoined to the end of the paragraph of sentences that RM7 creates, instead of appearing as a new paragraph.  So the paragraph RM7 creates typically ends with the first line of my Note, which is usually something like "BIRTH:" or "BIRTH AND CHRISTENING:".  Can this be fixed, so that the General Note starts a new paragraph in a Narrative Report (and perhaps even give us the option of whether to set it off with a blank intervening line)?  Or is there already a toggle or setting for this that I am not aware of?

#2 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:01 AM

Maybe this helps:

http://www.geneamusi...(Genea-Musings)

#3 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

Is this also a characteristic of RM6?

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

If you want beginning lines for the General note, you can add them to the General note on the Edit person screen.

If RM were to automatically paragraph the General note, it should be an option for the user to make that choice.  A pereon using a Narrative report to actually print a book on paper may want the report as compact as possible.

Personally, in RM, I would change tracking sourcing for a person from the General note to a Research log for that person and remove the tracking from the General note.

Another choice would be to create a user defined fact, Source tracking, and transfer the tracking notes from the General note to the note for that fact.  Then, I could choose whether I wanted to print that fact in a Narrative report or not.  And, I could use the sort date to print the fact where I want it.

#5 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

Laura, sorry, but having trouble understanding the kind of flow you are suggesting. Example: I research and find a birth date and place for John Q. That research carries a short description. 2. I enter the fact with date and place. 3. I source it and attach. 4. May or may not enter brief memo in Fact.   Then......

5. in General note area, enter a more narrative version, including the description found and include the source of same (in parenthesis, as  Sadly, in general notes, one can not source entries....which then of course, do not print endnotes for General Notes!)

This same process goes through all facts/events, putting the narrative and research notes perhaps too in General Notes. In RM7 reports, this all comes out quite messy with fact notes running together. No option to exclude. BUT then you won't have sources in your report. You can play with spacing, print to text edit, etc to display a chronologically, well formatted report......all this fiddling around with notes, sources, formatting does infringe on research time. 

There are so many great features in RM, but the reports and how they are formatted is a real weakness. As a test, I also made a GEDCOM and downloaded to Reunion10. General notes did NOT transfer at all, among other things!