• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maggiemole

maggiemole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

I have a very large tree which I created in FTM but have decided to switch to RM. I loaded the tree OK on my main PC then copied the file to Dropbox. I've now retrieved it from Dropbox on my Windows 7 laptop. Now no photos are coming up on the charts - and chart export was my big reason for switching to RM!

I have been back to my original RM creation (only yesterday) and the same problem appears. When I check the box at the top of the data page, the photos are all still there but there is a red cross in the bottom right-hand corner. Does this carry some meaning? I don't seem to be able to get rid of it.

Many thanks for any help.

Maggie

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6038 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

The X in the media thumbnail means that the media file is not where the database has it recorded. The thumbnail image itself is created when RootsMagic first finds the media file and is stored in the RootsMagic database along with the media file name and the path to the file. If the file is renamed, deleted or moved, then the link between it and the database is broken - hence the X. 

For more on media management in RootsMagic, see:
Help (F1)
Index > keyword "Media" > select "Working with" et al
RootsMagic TV
Fixing Broken Media Links in RootsMagic
Webinars
21. Pictures and Media in RootsMagic
30. New Media Tagging in RootsMagic 5

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 maggiemole

maggiemole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Wow! Thank you, Tom: that all makes a lot of sense, but it gives me quite a problem I think. I had intended to use Dropbox to allow me to continuously work with the same database whichever location I am in. This is what I have been used to in FTM, and I suppose that FTM embeds the images in the database with the person, so they all move together. I find this way very disconcerting, but I'll have to work out how to set up a workflow. If anyone has hints, I'll be grateful to read them!

Maggie

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6038 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

Older versions of FTM did store media in the database file but that is no longer the case.

Based on some adverse experience, it is advisable that your working database file should not be stored in an active Dropbox or other sync folder. If you remember to pause sync while you have the database open in RootsMagic, you will avoid issues that may arise due to the frequent updating of the database file. It is safe to keep your media files in a sync folder because they are not modified at the "atomic" level that the database is.

I came up with a way to keep the media files in sync and in identical directory structures on two very different computers - see http://forums.rootsm...ets/#entry63209

To obviate the issues with the database in a sync folder, I developed a checkout/checkin procedure described later in that thread.

Another possibility is to use the Backup database with media option, directing that file to the sync folder. Restore from the sync folder. The media file structure will be collapsed to one folder. If the path to the media files is the same on both computers, then the restored database will point to the files without the need to fix broken media links.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.