4 replies to this topic

#1 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

I started with RM 4 and bought the CD and Book of 4, 5 & 6. I was thinking this time I would just do the download only. I don't think I ever
used the CD's and very seldom have used any of the books. What are some of the pros and cons of doing one way or the other? If I do the
download only can I download it twice for both my computers? Thanks!

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

1. Yes, you can download the RM Setup file twice.

2. You don't need to - just save the RM Setup file to your hard drive, and use a USB (or other device) to copy the file to computer #2.

3. You can create your own program backup CD by burning the RM Setup file to a CD or DVD (whichever you and your computer prefer).

4. Find a place to store your RM Key - I keep it in a text file in the same folder as the RM Setup file. That way, the key is handy if I ever need to re-install RM.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

What are some of the pros and cons of doing one way or the other?

You can order the CD and while waiting for it download and install the application. The CD will go straight to your shelf.

The CD may not have the latest update so you may have to go through both the installation from the CD and the update which downloads the current install file and replaces the installation done from the CD.

If you are on dialup, downloading takes a fair bit of time (but a tiny fraction of what the download for Family TreeMaker would be).

The CD will come with a printed registration key; the download will require you to get a registration key to unlock the full features - it will be sent by email.

In either case, you should register your software online so that you may have a RootsMagic account through which you can look up your registration key for future installations on the same or another computer.

If RootsMagic suddenly went the way of TMG, you won't be able to purchase the CD or a registration key, register software or even lookup a registration key, or download install files. You might want to preserve the lastest installation files and your registration key(s) in places you control.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm still debating on purchasing the book. Any thoughts about that?

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I have not bought the book since RM4. I found it to be introductory level, not much more informative than the Help system. The Webinars and RootsMagicTV are likewise superficial and introductory. Yet one may pick up something from any of these that could be helpful. Learning by doing and experimenting on a play database is probably most effective once you get past the basics. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.