• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anemicscarecrow

anemicscarecrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

I select Internet | Generate files for a web site.

The fill in the information needed for the dynamic web site.

RM7 creates the file structure, but when I open the "index" file, I get the screen but no data.

There are Home, Name Index, and Pedigree links on the side, and Index of Names and Pedigree Chart in the middle.

No matter what I click on, I don't see any data.

I told Internet Explorer to allow blocked content, still nothing.

What do I need to do?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

-Recent Firefox versions ~should~ be able to locally open the created site files properly.
AND
-Chrome browser can be completely closed out & restarted w/special added parameter to allowing local viewing:
(ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --allow-file-access-from-files)
http://www.chrome-al...-from-file.com/
BUT
-Internet Explorer and Opera do not permit viewing these sites locally

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 anemicscarecrow

anemicscarecrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

It works after I transferred it to the web host, just not on the computer.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

To view the RM6-style sites correctly before transferring the files up to the cloud ...you'll have to use Firefox or Chrome, as I stated.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Correct, and that's because of security restrictions that browsers are imposing on you as described by kbens0n above. There is nothing RM can do about it. Your only hope is to choose a browser that allows you to do what you need to do, including possibly needing to change the browser's security settings.

Jerry

#6 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:00 AM

I was interested in this posting as from time to time I send a FH CD to family, I have used the website output (in PAF and RM) to create a database that I thought would be usable on any PC with a web browser, is this now not the case? Will it not work on some PC's running Internet Explorer?

I tried the last CDs I distributed (Dec 2013) and they worked with all versions of IE I have, up to ver 11 on Win 8.1 - I even tried  on the version of IE in the preview version of Windows 10 - it worked just fine in each version of IE, sure I must be missing something here and I would like to make sure any future versions I send out will work?

Bob

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

"FH CD" means what? If you mean a CD produced by Family Historian software, the question is not relevant to this forum. If you mean a RootsMagic Shareable CD, it is not relevant to this topic - a web browser is not involved. If you mean one of the RootsMagic website outputs that you have burned to CD, then it is relevant. There were two versions in RM6 and now three in RM7. The new one you cannot burn because it is generated dynamically from the MyRootsMagic server from the database and image files uploaded to it. The other two, which existed in RM6, are two very different types - the older produces static HTML files which, I believe, can still be viewed from a local drive with any web browser because there is no security issue. The newer one, which the old MyRootsMagic.com service hosted, produces files with JavaScript for which the security issue does arise when viewed locally.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Tom, yes I meant HTML type files, I burn a CD with the HTML files produced by RM (or PAF in the past) plus a whole load of HTML files I created manually which include extra info and index's to different parts of the CD - with so much time invested in this format I was (am?) concerned the CD (or future versions) might not be easily usable in the future, perhaps I misunderstod the comments from  kbens0n replying to the orignal post regarding the 'website' not being usable from hard drive.

Bob

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

It sounds like you are using the static HTML web pages. Such pages will work fine from a CD and with any browser. The concern for the future of this feature is that the capability to create static HTML Web pages from RM has been deprecated. That means that the feature will no longer be enhanced, and that there might (with emphasis on might) come a time in the future when the feature will no longer be supported. Only the RootsMagician knows for sure.

Jerry

#10 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hi Jerry

This thought did come to mind along with how 'compatible' the RM gedcoms are and  I have been considering other programmes, I have found several that will turn info from a gedcom into HTML so have this option as a backup to using RM's website but it would be nice if plain old HTML is supported in the long term, I think a lot of people will use it!

Bob