19 replies to this topic

#1 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

I started a new thread because the other one is too large and I am hoping some of you can try to see if this works for you.

OK I have narrowed the problem and think I can make it happen on a regular basis.

Do the following:
1. Open a new RM7 database
2. Go to tools>Program Options>Folders and use something like this for datafiles and backup files:
Z:\Volumes\Macintosh HD 2\RM7 Data
Z:\Volumes\Macintosh HD 2\Google Drive\RM7 Backup
3. Create a new database I did not change any options but let the file be created using all the defaults
File>New>Test
4. Go to tools>file options>webhints>
turn off all webhints
5. Add a new person
6. add a wife
7. for the husband add a census event
8. Go to ancestry.com and find a 1850 census
9. Cut and paste the information from this census and past it into a free form source.
NAME: George Rakes AGE: 30 BIRTH YEAR: abt 1850 BIRTHPLACE: Kentucky HOME IN 1880: Bradfordsville, Marion, Kentucky RACE: White GENDER: Male RELATION TO HEAD OF HOUSE: Self (Head) MARITAL STATUS: Married SPOUSE'S NAME: Mollie Rakes FATHER'S BIRTHPLACE: Kentucky MOTHER'S BIRTHPLACE: Kentucky NEIGHBORS: View others on page OCCUPATION: Farm Laborer CANNOT READ/WRITE: BLIND: DEAF AND DUMB: OTHERWISE DISABLED: IDIOTIC OR INSANE: View image HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS: NAME AGE George Rakes 30 Mollie Rakes 25 Marion J. Rakes 5 Sarah S. Rakes 1

I had to wait less than 10 minutes for the failure to happen. If I don't do anything other than respond to the message it will pop up again in about 15 minutes.

After testing some more I think the only thing that needs to be done is paste a large amounty of data into the free form field. I use a copy and paste from Ancestry.com census page and it fails.

Roger

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

I will pass your observations onto development for testing.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Terri in our phone support has a Mac computer. She has asked that you call in and let her remotely view what is happening.

Phone: 800-766-8762 or 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

I called but the message was that there was possible long wait. So I did not wait.

I am no longer using the program because of it's problems but I still think the cause of the floating point error is the pasting of information into the text part of the source at least that was the last thing I did before I would start getting the error.

Hope this helps some
Roger

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

The best thing to do is leave a message for Terri to call you back. You could give her a time frame if that would be helpful.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

........ but I still think the cause of the floating point error is the pasting of information into the text part of the source at least that was the last thing I did before I would start getting the error.Hope this helps someRoger

I can create the problem without entering anything - just going down a few levels and returning, or even less that that. The only common aspect is that one needs to go to another application and then when one returns to RM, the error message is just sitting there without doing anything to RM.

The problem is that sometimes one can use RM for several hours without the problem, and sometimes it happens after just a few minutes. Spotting a pattern seems to be beyond several of us who have appended to various topics that have mentioned this problem.

I suspect that users are drifting away from persevering with MacBridge because of this issue.

#7 bvnaia

bvnaia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

I can reproduce very easliy by opening my file, opening family search tree, then shifting over to another program such as safari and opening any website such as find a grave, then go back to roots magic.   There seems to be timeout issue with mac bridge when accessing outside sites such as family search and ancestry.   I can also reproduce the error when attempting to use a tool that doesn't seem to be supported such as merge duplicate and selecting search for duplicates.

#8 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Floating point error happens to me when I am in FamilySearch even before I go back to RM.    Will watch to see if I can give more exact details on when it happens.   It is fairly frequent when I am in another program, such as Firefox.    

#9 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

I tried to overlook this error, but it's become more of a pain making it not worth using MacBridge. I have moved away from RM and gone back to Reunion. At least that works all of the time.  And, by the way, this error reared its ugly head whenever I went into another program and returned back to RM. It would be nice if this could get fixed and not just hear that the problem is being worked on, or passed on, or whatever.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#10 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

For me, the error message just pops up periodically.   Not too much of a problem.

My husband, however, had the 'ding' that announces the error very frequently when we had RM open an were working in FamilySearch.   Inconvenient.   I hope it is fixed in one of the next updates.

#11 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

Renee, are you seeing the error reports that are sent by the program?

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

Yes, development has the error reports. I know this is something they are having to work with CrossOver on for a resolution.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

Thank you, Renee.  One thing I love about RM as a company -- you seem to be well-run and well-orgnized.    LOVE that!!!

#14 scrapsue

scrapsue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

So is this floating pointer error fixed? I'm just trying to move from crossover to MacBridge did I make a mistake????? well I guess not since I can't down load RM7 into MacBridge anyway.

#15 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

I used MacBridge for some time and had lots of problems with it so I stopped using it. I switched to Crossover and have not had many problems.

MacBridge would not save the screen size or position and also lots of floating point errors.

MacBridge should have RM7 included and would not be a download. You can run both if you are carefull.

Roger

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

So is this floating pointer error fixed? I'm just trying to move from crossover to MacBridge did I make a mistake????? well I guess not since I can't down load RM7 into MacBridge anyway.

You seem to be continuing to update you MacBridge for RootsMagic 6 by trying to download and install RootsMagic 7 into it. That's not the way it works. You need to install a completely different MacBridge for RootsMagic 7 to get the program upgraded.  The MacBridge contains RootsMagic Essentials in it, it is the full version but you need to enter your RM7 key to unlock it.

The floating point error is not fixed. Not everyone gets it and development and CrossOver are having a hard time pin-pointing the cause.

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 scrapsue

scrapsue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Renee, I have MacBridge7 and I am trying to download RM7 that I bought from the site. I'm not using RM6 at all!!!  MacBridge brings up the option to buy RM7 but I already bought it I just can't figure out how to get them together!! Please get your facts first.

Renee you said "The MacBridge contains RootsMagic Essentials in it, it is the full version but you need to enter your RM7 key to unlock it."  But you never explain just how to unlock it! I have tried to find a way to enter that darn key to no avail just frustration. I came here because I don't know this program or the inter workings of computers. I just wanted a kind person to help me get this program set up so I could start to learn it and work on my family tree. Was this the wrong place to come for help??

#18 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

Would development find it helpful to be in contact with users who have the floating point error frequently?   My husband gets it every few minutes.   

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

Renee, I have MacBridge7 and I am trying to download RM7 that I bought from the site. I'm not using RM6 at all!!!  MacBridge brings up the option to buy RM7 but I already bought it I just can't figure out how to get them together!! Please get your facts first.

Renee you said "The MacBridge contains RootsMagic Essentials in it, it is the full version but you need to enter your RM7 key to unlock it."  But you never explain just how to unlock it! I have tried to find a way to enter that darn key to no avail just frustration. I came here because I don't know this program or the inter workings of computers. I just wanted a kind person to help me get this program set up so I could start to learn it and work on my family tree. Was this the wrong place to come for help??

I've posted the instruction on the other thread. When you first open RootsMagic the option to unlock or register the program is on the first screen that pops up. Call into support and have Terri help you register RootsMagic so it can unlock the full features already installed.

Phone: 800-766-8762 or 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Please post replies on this forum thread - http://forums.rootsm...-error-message/

Renee
RootsMagic