• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JenC

JenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

I am a long time Legacy Family Tree user. I usually moved up with each new release but stayed with Legacy 7.5 when Ver 8 was released. 

A long time ago I considered migrating to RM and purchased RM3.

A problem I had at that time was there seemed no way to privatise parts of notes. Maybe there was - I see that curly brackets could be used instead of Legacy's square brackets.

The major problem, though, was that while in Legacy I could choose to export to GEDCOM sources without the Research Notes/Comments, In RM it appears I can't. Has this changed or is there a work around?

I export my database regularly to my website (I use TNG) and I don't want the Research notes exported.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

Curly brackets to privatize fact notes was a feature in Family Origins and has always been a feature in RootsMagic. You can choose whether or nor to export private notes in a gedcom or whether to print them in reports.

Research notes and Comments for sources can not be excluded in a gedcom. This has not changed.

In RootsMagic, enter the data you do not want to export in a note and privatize the note instead of entering the data into Research notes/Comments in the source.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

An export option to control the export of citation research notes and comments has been on the wish list for a long time, I suspect, as has support for privacy braces in these and all note-type fields, not just in fact/event notes. Renee will confirm, I'm sure.

Another workaround that does not require you to sacrifice the virtues of having your private data where you need it would be to process the GEDCOM file with a text editor that supports regular expression search and replace to delete the data. Or a SQLite query that deletes them in a copy of your database prior to export.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 JenC

JenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Thanks Laura and TomH

This issue is too huge for me to consider a work around.

The other thing I noticed is that the MRIN is not displayed unless you go to reports where it is an option. Since I file by MRIN, this is not helpful for me. I note somewhere in a query about this that the reason given was RM didn't want users to rely on MRINs for various reasons. I find this a strange reasoning. Surely a user can make up their own mind, or RM could have it as an optional display.

Looks like I will be sticking with Legacy.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

You can display the individual's record number.

Go to Tools - File Options - set the Number to display after name to Record Number (RIN)

The biggest reason that various people (including the RootsMagician) recommend against using the RIN to track your paperwork (etc.) is because the RIN is HIGHLY unlikely to remain the same when exporting and importing GEDCOM files.

#6 JenC

JenC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

It is not the RIN that I was referring to, but the MRIN - the marriage record number. I have managed to keep mine stable through various export and imports via GEDCOM over many years. Others may not - that is why it would be nice to have the option of seeing it easily or not.

Here is the link to the system I use. http://www.fileyourp...om/lessons.html

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

I viewed that site some years ago and nothing has changed - it is as erroneous now as it was then. The author confused Record Number in People View with MRIN - the former is the RIN. Coincidentally his example was for a person whose RIN and MRIN were both "2" so filing his personal documents in "2" was correct for him but his spouse would be misfiled in some other number. It would only make sense to file their spousal documents under the MRIN; their personal documents should go under the RIN.

That said, it is risky to base a filing system on volatile, non-transferable, indistinct numbers such as RIN and MRIN. Better to create your own numbering system and apply it to a fact type such as REF# or a custom one or to the Reference Number fields for Source Master Text and Source Detail Text. You could even use a snapshot of the current RIN and MRIN, e.g., Copy RIN to REFN.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.