14 replies to this topic

#1 rwcrooks

rwcrooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

For facts, we have "Proven," "Disproven," and "Disputed."  All good and fine but I'd like to suggest that you add a 4th selection, that being "Asserted."  "Disputed" colors the fact with a very negative tone.  Often I have facts that have quite a bit of circumstantial evidence, but I haven't yet found that single piece of evidence that would move it into the "Proven" category.  It would be nice to have a category that says "I can't for sure say that this is actually the case, but all the evidence sure seems to be pointing that way."

#2 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

Circumstancial evidence can be used to prove a fact.  Genealogical proof standard by Christine Rose is a good explanation of this with examples.  When I read this small book, it made me realize I had the proof all along for some of what I wanted to "prove."

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7157 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

I have simply considered everything that I did not mark Proven, Disproven, or Disputed as automatically being Asserted.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:38 AM

It would extremely helpful to have the option on the Fact Report to print facts based on how the Proof field is marked. Where it would be optional to print all the facts, only the facts where the Proof is blank, or based on how the fact is marked. It would a lot easier to see what items still need to be addressed, particularly if the fact was missed when creating a research log, without having to go back to look at each individual separately. If there is already a way to do this, please let me know.

Kari

#5 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

I personally would also like to be able to use it in the sentence structure for the facts. "It has been proven...."; "It has been disproven....", etc.

I'm also putting in my vote for "Asserted" to be added.

Kari

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7157 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

It would extremely helpful to have the option on the Fact Report to print facts based on how the Proof field is marked. Where it would be optional to print all the facts, only the facts where the Proof is blank, or based on how the fact is marked. It would a lot easier to see what items still need to be addressed, particularly if the fact was missed when creating a research log, without having to go back to look at each individual separately. If there is already a way to do this, please let me know.

I wanted to make sure you are talking about the Fact List Report. With your reference to checking the research log I am unsure that you are using the Fact List report. Because that will not find things based on one individual. You would still need to compare on the Edit Person screen how you marked their facts. Unless you want to scroll a long list if you have the proof field marked on a lot of people.

I personally would also like to be able to use it in the sentence structure for the facts. "It has been proven...."; "It has been disproven....", etc.

Assuming you are wanting a field variable for the proof field. Otherwise you can edit the fact customize sentence to include this information. Or put it in the notes to follow the fact in the report.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Stan Mitchell

Stan Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

I have tried using the "Proof" status for Facts.

Should there be a visual cue in the "Edit Person" window for Facts which are "Proven" as opposed to the default?

Setting a Fact to "Disputed" and "Disproven" changes it to red and with a strikeout, in the "Edit Person" window.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7157 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

You will see that the visual clue for "Disputed" and "Disproven" are exactly the same. So are the no proof setting and "Proven" the same. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Stan Mitchell

Stan Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps making a "proven" fact visually stand-out in some way could be an option. This might be used to distinguish "asserted" facts from "proven" facts.

I like the earlier suggestion:

It would extremely helpful to have the option on the Fact Report to print facts based on how the Proof field is marked.

This would seem to be a natural extension of the Fact List, perhaps "Facts that are proven-asserted-disproven" or "People with this fact type: Birth/proven-asserted-disproven"

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7157 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 jmduke

jmduke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

I would like to add my voice to the requests for improvements to the "Proof" drop-down list in the fact screen and, in particular, for adjectives that capture the middle ground between "Proven" and "Disproven". Although terms such as "possible" and "probable" do not appear to be precisely defined in the genealogical literature, they are nevertheless useful to convey the researcher's level of confidence. One approach would be to adopt the qualitative scale suggested by Elizabeth Shown Mills in her well known text (i.e., perhaps, apparently, likely, possibly, probably, and certainly).  Personally, I find this scale to be a bit too granular and to be inconsistent with some other schemes - for example, "likely" is generally considered to be synonymous with "probably".   Others have suggested possible, plausible, probable and proven as a progression of increasing confidence.    

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

Add the ability for users to add their own choices to the list?

There is no way RM could put every word every user would want to have on that list on the list.

Or not have a list. Bring up a box for entry of whatever word the user wants to enter in the box.

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7157 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:40 AM

Confirming enhancements requests are in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Looking at the Fact Proof field. 

As I endeavor to improve the quality of my research I am using the Proof field whenever possible. I feel it would be helpful if that field could be part of the selection list when doing a search. This would allow a report of "Unproven" i.e. blank or "disputed" facts to be generated which would allow more focus on where additional research is needed

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7157 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

Confirming that enhancements request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic