• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 longojim

longojim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

Can the Master Source Name list in the top left corner of the Citation Manager be sorted?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Not at this time. It's on the enhancement list in the tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 ArthurK

ArthurK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

Please could you give some indication of how likely it is that this enhancement will be provided, and when?

Being able to sort citations manually into a logical/sensible order is a feature that I used in another program before changing to RootsMagic, and not long after I made the change I asked about it here. From searching the forums it appears that I'm not the only one to have asked for this. Since then, however, there has been no sign of it appearing - and it's now over 8 years since I asked. Not surprisingly I'm beginning to wonder whether it ever will happen...

Arthur

#4 ArthurK

ArthurK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

Just to add a little more:

This feature is provided by at least one of RM's competitors - the one I used before switching to RM, and possibly another, but I'm still researching that. I appreciate that over the past 8 years RM has seen many enhancements, some of them unique in the FH software field. However, is there not a danger that RM will lose ground if at the same time it fails to keep up with the features that attract people to its competitors?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

Sorry, but we never commit to a time frame on when features will be added to the program. We have a development list and schedule but it is subject to change as the need arises.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

I would really, really like this feature. 

I use the Research Notes report a lot and frequently need to reorder citations. The current method of memorizing, pasting, and deleting citations is tedious. I would love to have "move up" and "move down" arrows to easily reorder.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:30 AM

This feature is provided by at least one of RM's competitors - the one I used before switching to RM, and possibly another, but I'm still researching that. I appreciate that over the past 8 years RM has seen many enhancements, some of them unique in the FH software field. However, is there not a danger that RM will lose ground if at the same time it fails to keep up with the features that attract people to its competitors?

In my opinion RM has to be aware of this with numerous features whilst still providing unique innovated features to stay ahead. If several users want the same result or are trying to achieve the same report then that needs serious consideration for inclusion and there are a number of enhancements that fit this bill.

The current method of memorizing, pasting, and deleting citations is tedious. I would love to have "move up" and "move down" arrows to easily reorder.

RM could at least adopt the Family Search method of assigning to various facts. Again to be perfectly logical when I enter a number of facts they are almost invariably from the same source so not being able to quickly assign the source to those multiple facts is a noticeable hindrance and completely unnecessary waste of my time.

Productivity and the ease of compiling quality and accurate information through an easy to use interface with quality reporting should be the RM mission statement.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 ArthurK

ArthurK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I use the Research Notes report a lot and frequently need to reorder citations. The current method of memorizing, pasting, and deleting citations is tedious. I would love to have "move up" and "move down" arrows to easily reorder.

I must admit that when thinking about features in other programs I overlooked this memorise/paste/delete possibility in RM. Where, say, there are only two citations in the list, it's pretty straightforward. However, since a pasted citation always goes to the bottom of the list, I agree that it can be quite tedious with a longer list.

I expect someone could come up with a formula for the number of clicks required for any given situation, but imagine you have a list of 5 citations and the first two are in the wrong order (2,1,3,4,5). I calculate that to put that right would require 12 clicks: Memorise 2, Paste 2, Memorise 3, Paste 3 etc up to Paste 5; then 4 more to delete the original 2, 3, 4 and 5. With up and down arrows a single click would fix it.

RM could at least adopt the Family Search method of assigning to various facts. Again to be perfectly logical when I enter a number of facts they are almost invariably from the same source so not being able to quickly assign the source to those multiple facts is a noticeable hindrance and completely unnecessary waste of my time.

I don't think I follow what you mean - we don't all have trees at Family Search! Is this any different or quicker than using the existing Memorise/Paste function? (It also doesn't seem strictly relevant to this thread :unsure: )

Arthur

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3589 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

I don't think I follow what you mean - we don't all have trees at Family Search! Is this any different or quicker than using the existing Memorise/Paste function? (It also doesn't seem strictly relevant to this thread :unsure: )

Arthur

I think there are two separate issues here. One issue is the fact that citations in RM4, RM5, RM6, and RM7 are not sorted. (Before RM4, citations were sorted). The wish is to have the old sorted citation list functionality be restored to RM.

The other issue is that the initial data entry of citations - the memorize/paste mechanism - could be improved. Having done a memorize, there is usually a lot of clicking necessary to get to all the proper places where a paste is necessary. In particular, you have to open each person, and each fact for each person, where the paste is to take place. The wish is to be able to do the paste (or something like the paste) without individually having to open each person and each fact for each person.

Jerry

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

The current method of memorizing, pasting, and deleting citations is tedious.

I don't think I follow what you mean - we don't all have trees at Family Search! Is this any different or quicker than using the existing Memorise/Paste function? (It also doesn't seem strictly relevant to this thread 

I don't have trees at Family Search either and as regards relevance I was referring to Gina's comment above on this thread.

Anyway when transferring Sources to Family Search the following screen pops up allowing multi select of where the Source belongs, I was merely pointing out that this would be an improvement to individually pasting to several facts one by one.

sourcepaste.png

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 ArthurK

ArthurK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, Jerry and Vyger - I think I'm with you now. I've never added anything to Family Search, so is this a feature that non-LDS members would generally never come across?

Anyway, now you've explained it, it does look relatively quick and easy (though it still looks to me to be more about getting sources/citations attached rather than sorting them once they are attached).

Arthur

#12 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

I would really, really like this feature. 

I must admit that when thinking about features in other programs I overlooked this memorise/paste/delete possibility in RM. Where, say, there are only two citations in the list, it's pretty straightforward. However, since a pasted citation always goes to the bottom of the list, I agree that it can be quite tedious with a longer list.

I expect someone could come up with a formula for the number of clicks required for any given situation, but imagine you have a list of 5 citations and the first two are in the wrong order (2,1,3,4,5). I calculate that to put that right would require 12 clicks: Memorise 2, Paste 2, Memorise 3, Paste 3 etc up to Paste 5; then 4 more to delete the original 2, 3, 4 and 5. With up and down arrows a single click would fix it.

Egad! Gadzooks! What a timely post for me to run across.

I am on the tedious and boring mission of sorting Sources in the Citation Manager. I am attempting to put them in order of importance from "most" to "least" (top to bottom). My relatively simple task has turned into pure torture with no sort mechanism in place in RM7. I've tried poking my eye, but that didn't stop the agony. :wacko: The Memorize/Paste feature(?) is limited to a single Citation and simply does not handle the task at hand. I sincerely hope that an "up/down arrow" feature is present in RM8.

Tom

It's been real... It's been fun...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Master Source Names, Citation Manager