• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flneelys

flneelys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

I tried to auto merge two mostly identical databases but not one person was merged!  Identical sources were not merged either.  I have run auto merge several times but no luck merging.  Manual merge works but is so SLOW,  Rootsmagic 3 is much faster, which is why I hadn't switched to RM4 yet.  I see no reason to upgrade to the new RM7 from what I have seen with RM4 working so much worse than RM3.  RM3 will not export a gedcom so I finally had to upgrade but I need a program that can handle a large database and not be extremely slow like RM4 in just bringing up a screen.  Any suggestions or tips on how to fix the merging problems or another genealogy software program that does good auto merges?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

A "genealogy software program that does good auto merges" is probably an oxymoron. A database so large and so messed up that you are hoping automerge will fix it up for you is a database for which you will never be able to figure out whether an auto merge was good, bad or indifferent. Of course, RM3 exports GEDCOM but not if your database is screwed up. If RM4 was able to import that database, how can you be sure it is not screwed up, too? Is RM4 slow at bringing up any screen or is your complaint about the speed specifically with manual merge? How big is this database? You should not judge the current version of RootsMagic on the first of its generation; while there is much in common, there have been some improvements and additions. Why not try out the free trial version? While auto-merge is disabled, you can still use manual merge and see if it is any faster than RM4. 

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.