#1 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hi all,

I am now fully entrenched in RM after migrating from TMG. One thing I don't like when adding sources is that you have to browse though the list to find the source that you require or, probably more often than not, search to see if one exists already.

TMG had a search facility in its Master Source list. You would search, find, select and it would be added to the fact that you wanted to add a citation to.

Sounds like a good thing to add to RM to streamline the add citation process.

Any thoughts on this suggestion?

Wayne Thurley

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:52 AM

Any thoughts on this suggestion?

When you enter Cite Existing Source just start typing and that will jump you down the list providing your source management has a logical naming structure. When citing a new source there is a search box which you will already have noticed.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

A Source Search function is a desirable enhancement. Something like Find Anywhere but only for Sources and Citations.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

I think this would be a great enhancement. Even better than searching, per se, would be filtering. That is, give a search string and the Master Source list would be filtered to only those items containing the string. The string shouldn't have to be at the beginning of the Master Source name for the filtering to work. The Media Gallery already includes this sort of functionality, so it could serve as an exemplar for the Master Source list.

Now that I have become an extreme source splitter, I seldom have need to find an existing Master Source to cite. But I frequently have need to find an existing Master Source to copy. So this kind of an enhancement would be of great value both to source lumpers and source splitters.

Jerry

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

I think this would be a great enhancement. Even better than searching, per se, would be filtering. That is, give a search string and the Master Source list would be filtered to only those items containing the string. The string shouldn't have to be at the beginning of the Master Source name for the filtering to work. The Media Gallery already includes this sort of functionality, so it could serve as an exemplar for the Master Source list.

Filtered lists like that in media gallery would be welcome in other parts of the program like Place List and I would hope they will come in the future.

One additional point is they should be multi component like windows search to mazimize their potential.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

A Source Search function is a desirable enhancement. Something like Find Anywhere but only for Sources and Citations.

y

Thanks for that Tom. I used this type of facility all the time in TMG. I have renamed many of my sources so that there is some sort of consistency through the list but a search facility would be the icing on the cake.

This all leads into my next question on Sources. Having migrated from TMG I have all my TMG source templates as well as my RM source templates. It's duplication that I would rather remove. I am happy to just go with RM templates but the process will be rather time consuming if I do things manually. I guess what I am looking for is a source template merge facility.

Any thoughts on this? I am sure that anyone who migrates large volumes of research data from another program to RM would be facing this issue.

Wayne

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

I guess what I am looking for is a source template merge facility.
Any thoughts on this? I am sure that anyone who migrates large volumes of research data from another program to RM would be facing this issue.
Wayne

This is really a new, old topic. A source merge utility has been on the wish list for a very long time. You'll see some prior discussions in the results from this search https://www.google.c....rootsmagic.com . It is feasible, to some degree, anyway. The easiest will have a 1:1 mapping between the fields of one template and the fields of the other. Then it gets complicated, having to parse or combine the data itself into fields that don't map so easily.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

The sugestion by Vyger a while back for a "side by side merge UI with a little field mapping utility" seems to be the best solution for merging similar or identical sources. Other options (especially bulk ones) appear appear to have a fair bit of risk attached. At least with the side by side UI you can see the end result before you commit to it.

There is also a RMSource utility that might offer some asistance sometime into the future.

It would be nice for what ever solution surfaces for it to developed by RM so that it can be built into the RM product.

Wayne Thurley