• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ellispj

ellispj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Is there a way for RootsMagic 7 to show an 'all-in-one' view. This is a chart that Family Tree Maker used to have which shows your entire family tree data in one large chart.

Phil

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 ellispj

ellispj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

Thanks Renee.

#4 rwcrooks

rwcrooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

That would be fantastic!  I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one that liked that chart.  I still keep a rusty, old version of FTM lurking in the shadows for that one chart.  I'd hate to be the guy that programs it, though.

#5 dz1966

dz1966

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

So the all-in-one feature does not exist?  Any idea when it will be available?  I have been using Family Tree Maker as well and love the feature; since that is what I want to printout when I get everyone entered.  I would stay with FTM except for two things:  (1) to get the all-in-one feature you either have to go to their website (which has a limit of 250 people) or pay a monthly charge for the premium version.  (2) I don't like how the software lays out the all-in-one chart (at least in my case).  So I like to be able to move individuals around so the chart is easier to follow.  I know rootsmagic has this feature.  I was hoping it had the one-in-all feature also.

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

Beware of what you ask for.  I don't have enough wall space to display everyone and also it is hard to imagine how useful the entire chart would be anyway.  With marriages between cousins and two or three mariages for certain ancestors, such a chart would be immensely complicated.  Not worth the effort in my opinion.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

John_of_Ross_County said: " ... such a chart would be immensely complicated. Not worth the effort in my opinion."

I completely agree. It might be nice to see for a 3 or 4 generation segment of my database, but there is much interlinking in the various family lines that I'm tracking. A bunch of lines go back to the mid-1600's, say 9 or 10 generations, some to 1500's France. I have 12th- and 14th-cousins recorded. Charting that would just HAVE to create a mess on the page....

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

I am still on Ver 6 and the Report>Chart section does not work on the RM Essentials Ver 7.

However,  an 8 generation ancestor chart for my son with 177 individuals generates a chart 177.3" x 11.5".  I do not have a wall long enough to display even this limited chart.

A descendant chart for one gr-gr-gr-gr grandfather with about 3600 individuals is 3764" x 12.7".  That is about 20% of my database.  I do not know of anyone with 313 continuous lineal feet of wall space.  I would not actually print either one, but I have printed smaller ones.

Nevertheless, limited wall charts can be useful.  Try color coding different branches.  They really stand out.

#9 dz1966

dz1966

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

Although I would agree the size would be too large to hang on the wall, that should be up to the user to decide.  If the software is capable of handling the people in the database if should be able to create the chart.  The user could either print it out or save it to a PDF file.  Personally, I want to be able to print it out and place it into a storage tube, so I am able to view anytime I want.  A wall hanging would be limited to keep the size manageable.  Again, it should be the users option.  I bought rootsmagic because it provides the ability to move individuals on the chart so it is easier to follow and hoping it could create the all-in-one.  Now I am disappointed because it cannot do what I had hoped.

#10 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

These comments are based on the RM Ver 6 Wall Charts, not Ver 7.

Pick the Wall Chart option.  There are three choices: 1] Ancestors 2] Descendants 3] Hourglass

Select an ancestor, say your great grandfather.  Create a wall chart with each of these options with an arbitrary 4 generations in either direction.  Play with all of the options. I am guessing that the hourglass option centered on one person "might" be close to what you were asking for in a "All-In-One" view.  This hourglass example would miss the other three great grandfathers.  If that is truely what you want, you may have to wait.  It is possible to merge different wall charts, but I have never tried it.