• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DonV

DonV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

When installing RM 7 there is an option to keep RM 6 on the same machine.  This option is not recommended except for advanced users.  My question is what is the concern / drawbacks of having both versions on the same machine?  If I decide to keep both versions what do I need to watch out for?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

That "warning" is a holdover from previous upgrades in which the database structure was changed and the old versions of software could no longer open a database that had been opened or created by the later version. Rootsmagic 7 creates RM6 version databases and does not modify existing RM6 databases so you can readily work on the same database with either RM6 or RM7. There is no downside to keeping both versions of software.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

I would use best practices still and keep the databases separate. Set the default folders (Tools>Program Options>Folder) in each version to a different folder.  We just can't guarantee that a future update in RM7 will still allow it to be open in RM6. Even within versions numbers you will find an update will no longer allow you to open the database on a different computer that didn't have the same update.

Renee
RootsMagic