3 replies to this topic

#1 JoopvB

JoopvB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

I am (becoming) a convert!

With help of all the great SQLlite utilities the changeover from TMG to RM is a doable exercise. One thing is still bugging me. In TMG I use the Repository and Repository Info to include them as part of the sentences for the sources. IN RM this information is gone (the Repository as such seems to be in the address table, but nothing in the source sentence).

Anybody an idea how to kind of copy the Repository (Info) from the address table to wherever it needs to be to be used in the source sentence? I guess I would need to create the custom fields in the source sentences? But some automated kind of copy for more than 3000 sources (yeah, I am a splitter :)) would be super.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

I can help, I think. Let's continue the discussion on Sources - Adding Repository Info. I posted a couple of questions for you there. Other members of the SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic wiki can also weigh in there. That page has a widget feature I had not tried before that facilitates discussion. If we have a successful outcome, you can report it back here for wider interest. I don't think it is necessarily unique to immigrants from TMG. There are a few of the standard templates that do have Repository info fields. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

I posted an initial script on Sources - Adding Repository Info that superficially works on the directly imported TMG Sample Project. Anyone who wishes to try it is warned, of course, to do so on a copy of the database or to have made a backup immediately before applying it.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

In working on this problem, it became apparent that RootsMagic and its users would benefit from two enhancements:

1. Add fields to the Source Template Language that pull data from the primary Repository for a source, e.g., the Repository Name and Address, for use in Footnote, Short Footnote and Bibliography sentences
  2. Enhance the direct import from TMG to convert its [REPOSITORY] and [REPOSITORY ADDRESS] fields (which do fetch data from its Master Repository List) to the fields defined in 1.

RootsMagic users are faced with having to enter the repository info into both the Repository screen and into the source entry screen, repeatedly for each new source from the same repository. Fully 30% (134) of RootsMagic's built-in source templates have repository fields to be filled in. Imports from TMG currently end up with empty fields for repository fields even though the repository info has been imported to the RootsMagic Repository List and the source and repository are linked; the rework involved is enormous as JoopvB attested with his 3000 sources.

Until RootsMagic is so enhanced, one can use the SQLite scripts I developed at Sources - Copy Repository Name, Address from Repository List