Photo

What is "Wineloader" & why parked itself in my dock?

wineloader MAC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

Just downloaded the new update. Now there is a 2nd RM7 icon in my dock at the bottom of my MAC. When I hover over the 2nd icon it says "wineloader". It has installed itself on my dock at the bottom of my desktop. What IS wineloader? Why do I now need 2 RM7 icons in my dock? Can I remove 2nd icon, if so how as it does not respond to usual method of removal from the dock?

Thank you.

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Wineloader is likely related to MacBridge. 

#3 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

And? :-)

Can you or anyone possibly address the other questions I posted?

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply.

#4 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

You should be able to remove them by dragging the icon off the dock. It will not uninstall the program so it is safe to do so. If just dragging the icon off the dock does not work your issue is more complicated. The only instructions I have found on a quick search is how to restore the dock to factory settings. 

#5 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Dragging icon does not work. I will do more research.
Thank you for your reply.

#6 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

Dragging icon does not work. I will do more research.
Thank you for your reply.

Are you running on OS X Yosemite? (I seem to recall that there were problems along those sort of lines with CrossOver that required it to be updated to support Yosemite.)

#7 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

I thought Wine was a loader for Linux systems.  It allows Windows programs to run in Linux operating systems.   I use it on my Linux based computer (not the one I'm currently having issues with Rootsmagic with).

#8 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:31 AM

I thought Wine was a loader for Linux systems.  It allows Windows programs to run in Linux operating systems.   I use it on my Linux based computer (not the one I'm currently having issues with Rootsmagic with).

The Wine Loader is part of the Wine project, which is an Open Source effort to provide an environment for Windows programs to run on a non-Windows operating system. It does not require a copy of Windows to be installed, but instead emulates the API (application programming interface) that Windows programs use, mapping the API calls to the underlying operating system.

There are versions of Wine for at least the Mac (OS X) and Linux operating systems. Wine is also packaged into the CrossOver product (which supports RootsMagic on both Mac and Linux, and MacBridge is based on a stripped down CrossOver. So the Wine Loader on a Mac could be a result of using base Wine, CrossOver or MacBridge.

I have run both RM7 and RM6 under both MacBridge and Crossover on both Mavericks and Yosemite, and have certainly updated RM7 under both MacBridge and CrossOver on Yosemite without seeing this problem.

However, as I said in an earlier append, there was a time when CrossOver was suffering from the sort of problem you describe when Yosemite was still in Beta and CrossOver was saying that they were not supporting Yosemite at that time. Then, when Yosemite was formally released, CrossOver released a new level, V14, which was stated to support Yosemite. Since then, CrossOver has been updated from 14.0.0 to 14.0.3.

I'm not sure what level of CrossOver MacBridge7 is built on, but maybe it is a level that is suceptible to this problem.

It is perhaps worth us understand the levels of RM, MacBridge and OS X being used when observing this problem.

Also, by "the usual method of removal from the Dock", do you mean right clicking the Dock icon and using Option/Remove from Dock"?

#9 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I did move the wine loader icon to the trash without a problem. It was probably from crossover.I have not upgraded to Yosemite as I had not backed up my data at that time. Finally able to backup my data, will upgrade to Yosemite today. Hopefully upgrading to Yosemite will resolve any issues/potential issues as I have had nothing but issues since installing RM7. Just as an aside, I have found with RM6, I lost sources, at least that is when I noticed the lost sources. I have 26,000+ people in my database so it is only natural that I do not go back to most people all that often. When I would open an individual's screen I would notice a number next to the source button indicating the number of sources for whatever fact you highlight but when I click on the button to open the source screen for an individual fact there are usually absolutely no sources there, on a few there were just fewer sources than indicated. It is not on everyone, just some & some I knew exactly what source I had noted for a particular fact. I am not sure what has caused the problem but & is upsetting but is not the fault of RM7. Has anyone else lost sources? Could having them all in one file be contributing to the issue?

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Just as an aside, I have found with RM6, I lost sources, at least that is when I noticed the lost sources. I have 26,000+ people in my database so it is only natural that I do not go back to most people all that often. When I would open an individual's screen I would notice a number next to the source button indicating the number of sources for whatever fact you highlight but when I click on the button to open the source screen for an individual fact there are usually absolutely no sources there, on a few there were just fewer sources than indicated. It is not on everyone, just some & some I knew exactly what source I had noted for a particular fact. I am not sure what has caused the problem but & is upsetting but is not the fault of RM7. Has anyone else lost sources? Could having them all in one file be contributing to the issue?

Unless RM was/is failing in some way, I don't think there can be a connection. However, if you want others to comment on this 'new' problem, may I suggest you start a new topic.

EDIT: I see you have started a new topic.

Edited by J P, 08 January 2015 - 03:07 PM.