45 replies to this topic

#41 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think Jerry has identified the probable cause. I wonder if it was even Google Drive and not Windows that restricted access. It sounds very much like the step you often have to go through when Windows requires an Administrator to authorize that changes can be made to a folder.

There was also a network involved. The other consideration is if RootsMagic 7 had permission to access the internet. RootsMagic 6 may have had permission but not RootsMagic 7. 

So we will never have a good answer because we couldn't remotely view the computer to determine how things were setup and what was happening. I just want to remind people that when you purchase RootsMagic you receive free support. You can call us to remotely view your computer so we can quickly determine your issue when problem like these arise. We can't always fix your Windows issues outside of our realm or expertise, but we can help rule out what might be causing things to happen. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#42 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

And this is the new bug that needs to be fixed.

I confirmed that I see the same as John: no error message nor a backup file anywhere when attempting to backup to a "locked" SD card. This is a bug or programming oversight that is unrelated to Ruth's issue.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#43 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

I should have tested my procedure before I wrote about it.

A backup to a SDHC camera card worked fine.

1] I removed the card and moved the write lock switch to the LOCKED position.

2] I then tried another backup to the SDHC card with a backup file name of "LOCKED" specified.  Something flashed on the screen.  There was no error message.

3] I then used Windows Explorer to check the SDHC card.  There was no file LOCKED.RMGB on the card.

4] I then tried to copy a photo to the card with Windows Explorer.  It failed with an error message as expected.

Conclusion: RootsMagic Version 7 needs a little more error checking.

Confirming this issue has been sent to development for further testing. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#44 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

Jerry.

Every time I want to link a program from my PC or an app from one of my iDevices to Dropbox (for the first time), I have to authorize the program to access Dropbox.  After downloading RM 7, when I made my first backup to Dropbox, I had to authorize RM 7 to access Dropbox.  I had been backing up RM 6 to Dropbox all along, but had to authorize RM 6 when I made the first backup to Dropbox.

My bad on this one. I know that you have to authenticate to Dropbox if you use the "backup directly to Dropbox in the cloud" option. Also, all my iDevices are synced with Dropbox so I understand the authorization you are talking about.

But I had forgotten all about the fact that a "backup directly to Google Drive in the cloud" option had been added since I don't use it. So I failed to recognize the error message for Google Drive for what it was. I thought the only thing that was happening was that RM was trying to write a backup file to a location within the Google Drive folder on the local hard disk. Fortunately, other posters to the forum figured it out.

Tom posted a message later in the thread that I agree with - that the names of the options are confusing. It's a very different thing to backup to a location on your local hard disk that is within a Dropbox folder on your local hard disk than it is to backup directly to Dropbox in the cloud. And the same comment applies to Google Drive.

I'm just glad the problem is now understood.

Jerry

#45 dbuechel

dbuechel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

It looks like there is an issue between RM7 and google drive.   I had the same problem and I moved my file to One Drive and now it backs-up fine.  Why it does not work with google drive I do not know.

#46 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Have you look at your File to see if it is in fact not backed with an Explorer Program?  I use a program caller Total Commander. Tells me Time of last backup.

Kid